Rome Total War 2 looking likely!

I would play a Telltale of Pullo’s Adventures even if it was just quick time events.

So for those of us still pottering about with Rome II like Enidigm and myself, the Power and Politics patch is available in beta form today. I might give it a try later on.

I played a little last night, but I didn’t know Rome 2 well enough to spot the difference in the early game. Mostly I was overwhelmed trying to play a real Total War game after so much Warhammer.

Yeah Warhammer creates bad habits/crutches, like the solo general tank.

I totally forgot about that! I never liked RTW2 so I completely forgot how much I loathed that decision and how it made the game feel so much less personal than its predecessors.

I actually think it’s correct for the setting. That it failed to feel personal was a separate issue relating to bland characters and irrelevant politics. We will see if it is improved!

They had talked about a massive overhaul of politics and promised it would happen back when they did the Emperor Edition… and then it wasn’t there. That killed my interest in playing the game as the politics part of the game was so bad, and it was so disappointing to have that piece be fixed. So this is really nice. I just hope it’s a true overhaul and not just some tweaking. Politics and Family were so awesome in the first Rome Total War.

I’m pretty confused what’s going on here, the moment the initial grace period was over, my dictator was injured in an assassination. Then when he returned four turns later, he was hit again before I got a turn. This seems dumb.

From an assassin on the campaign map, or some political event?

Yeah, I was thinking agent as well. CA sort of goes all over the map on agents from game to game, sometimes they do a good job of controlling them (i.e. Shogun 2 where they limited your number pretty hard and the development tree for them didn’t make them gods by mid campaign) and sometimes they don’t like in Rome 2 (where agents are spammed out by the AI to such a ridiculous degree I’ve flipped so many to my side that mid-campaign I’ve easily had 50 working for me and a good chunk of each turn was deciding what to do with them).

P.S. I’m not exaggerating either about the number, and it could of been a 100 if I felt so inclined, but I was getting bored out of my skull deciding what to do with them all so I just started killing them off wherever I encountered them.

Yes, agents are a thing that frequently get modded out. I’m pretty sure there is such a mod for Rome 2, and it’s not silly to use it.

They seem okay in Warhammer, but even then I am not sure they add much.

Okay, I’m not 100 turns into my Rome game and have conquered all of western Europe. The other nations don’t seem to be putting up much of a fight.

In the senate however, things are not so rosy. I still have 0% chance of rebellion, but I have no idea how to reach the Influence threshold to switch to Empire government type. All my attempts to increase Influence from the 50% it started at have manage to reduce it to 48%. Anyone know what I’m missing here?

So if you sign up to totalwar.com you can get 66% of Rome II and one of three of the old DLCs for free. The choices are Wrath of Sparta, Black Sea Colonies or Nomadic Tribes.

Can anyone recommend which DLC I should get?

Sparta adds a Peloponnesian War campaign, and a greater variety of Greek units of that era. The Black Sea colonies adds 3 factions that are hybrids of Greek factions and steppe/eastern factions. The Nomadic Tribes adds 3 factions from the steppes with emphasis on a variety of cavalry. IMO Sparta is a meatier expansion and I personally enjoy the slower pace of hoplite-centric battles. I never play the Nomadic Tribes b/c I cannot be arsed to micro-manage horse archers.

I was leaning in that direction myself. Thanks for the summary.

I think the only Rome 2 Grand Campaign, otoh, i’ve ever finished was Cimmeria. :) Wrath of Sparta is kind of a complex campaign expansion with some unique rules. The other two, while much less interesting, do provide 3 factions each to play on the Grand Campaign. But unless you’re as hardcore history nerd as me you’re probably not itching to take these obscure factions into campaign.

On the other hand, if you’re never going to touch a mini-campaign like me, might as well take a bonus faction.

So the next TW is going to be sort of a “mini-TW” called Thrones of Brittania. Based on this RPS preview it sounds like very appealing to me. Specifically, some of the changes (streamlined recruiting, removal of agents, simplified province management) sound like movding towards to a leaner, more elegant game. I do love the big sprawling TW games, post-Shogun I feel like all the TWs are sprawling, and in some cases, overly so. I like the idea of having a game that is tighter and learner, as as option.

Note: let me repeat - according to RPS, agents have been completely removed from the game. Praise the Lord!

Wow, thanks for that link. I am really looking forward to this TW as the setting really appeals to me. I was wondering about the release date since this annoucned and the article says April 19th!

I hadn’t read that preview yet, but removing agents and streamlining the strategic level game sounds great. But I am a bit worried about this.

I think they had a pretty hard miss with Empire Divided, the rando expansion they dropped out of nowhere on Rome 2. It performs kind of badly, sort of crashes a lot, has some weird color filters, kind of feels… superfluous and unnecessary. Which is too bad considering the subject matter, which is very interesting.

Considering that I believe it’s the same team (might be wrong?) and they’re dropping this thing on top of the Attila engine I have a bit more skepticism than before.