Romero and his films

At the end of the day, I believe George Romero has not lived up to the genre he created with the films he has made after the first.

I own both DAY and DAWN and frankly I find them sorely lacking. I also feel the revolting violence in them is just filling in the talent gap and seeking pure shock value devoid of merit. To this day I regard the bloody atrocities at the finale of DAY to be celluloid trash and a disregard for the dignity of the human body. You’ll see the same kind of crap masquerading as sophistication in JURASSIC II, RED PLANET, DEEP BLUE SEA … directors using CGI effects to portray vicious, irredeemable offenses on the human form. Myself I believe the toxic quality of this stuff says more about the soul of the man that made it rather than society in general. I don’t buy the free market arguments that this is what people want. Rather, it’s what they are being fed by the Hollywood cartel.

I consider M. Night Shymalayan to be a true genius … his films are terrifying without ever really showing anything graphic. He’s the exception, not the rule.

Romero created a fantastic genre with the walking dead but it is my opinion that the genre has been scarcely utilized between the Italian ripoffs, Mexican trash and other B grade imitations. The association with saturation level graphic violence is not a good one and is decidely juvenile stuff only.

That’s why I have high hopes for 28 DAYS LATER. I’m hoping to see a really adult zombie apocalyptic film and not just another entrail-a-thon that looks like people substituted cow guts for talent and ability.

Indeed, Cleve, you should find this all the more reason to love 28 DAYS LATER; while it’s being marketed as gory, it really isn’t - at least not gratuitously so. While some of the Infected are particularly disgusting (I don’t consider the whole blood-vomiting thing gratuitous as it just makes them all the more terrifying when you consider one splash of that blood could be the end of you) there is NO full-frontal ripping apart of human bodies or other gore for the sake of it. It’s all handled very subtly, so you still get the full force of the horror without it being shoved in your face.

The idea of a single touch communicating disease is a really terrifying vehicle for situations to be charged with a lot more tension than just getting zombie overcrowding that eventually entraps the protagonist. I’ve had nightmares like that and I bet others have too. Also the notion of the creatures being active and relentless is a lot scarier than blind automatons shuffling along.

That’s why RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD was so frightening, because the zombies were not shambling, wooden goalposts for a shotgun - they moved faster than the people and were diabolically clever.

I don’t think I can wait until September to see this movie, I may try to buy it off Amazon tonight. It must be going for full price or better.

Did anybody think the RESIDENT EVIL film had any redeeming merit of any kind? I found it to be just barely tolerable for hardcore devotees of the game. I found it difficult to sit through twice and fast-forwarded most of it on video. Unimaginative bunk. The last 2 minutes were the only good thing about the whole flick.

Actually I didn’t find 28 DAYS LATER as disturbing as NIGHT, DAWN, etc, but it’s not really a fair comparison - I saw those movies as a kid and they freaked me out badly in a way that has always stuck with me. There’s just something about that shambling, moaning Romero zombie that unsettles me in a way that the Infected did not, even though objectively they are a lot more dangerous and terrifying.

One question that did arise for me was, why don’t the Infected attack each other? If anything they often seem to be pack hunters. In the Romero flicks it’s explained that the dead only want to eat living flesh so that’s fair enough, but I don’t understand what it is about Rage that prevents the Infected from wanting to tear each other apart.

Garland actually cites RESIDENT EVIL as an influence on 28 DAYS LATER but he’s talking about the games, not the movie. Although it’s interesting that DAYS begins in almost exactly the same way as RE ends.

Is Romero seriously going ahead with his next sequel or is this just another fanboy self-sustaining rumor? I heard about it on another board and then somebody here repeated it. Is that real or like those ALIEN VS PREDATOR fanboy lies that are constantly circulating?

I know very little about it, other than it’s called DEAD RECKONING, involves some kind of huge armored truck of the same name, and overall sounds a bit odd but interesting. I believe the general premise was that years after the zombie plague a few fortress-like cities have emerged inside which people have all but forgotten about the “walkers” outside - they are by now accepted and considered a manageable natural hazard, or more aptly a largely ignored social problem like the homeless (which I think is the analogy Romero is trying to draw).

That’s the basic premise, if memory serves. I don’t know too much about the story itself. I imagine Romero is currently undergoing the usual protracted battle to secure funding, and is hoping that 28 DAYS LATER et al do well, as there’s nothing Hollywood executives like more than producing a movie that’s just like the last big success.

What was his last film called? Oh right:

[size=6][u][i]The Terrifying Aliens From Beyond Who Can’t Break Down a Door!!![/u][/i][/size]

Or, more bizarrely, aliens who run around naked and decide to invade a planet that habitually rains down skin-melting acid on them.

Without wishing to assist in the derailing of a perfectly good zombie thread, I’ll say this about Shyamalan: I love the elegant, peaceful, contemplative stylistic quality with which he imbues all his films - there’s something inherently cool about the idea of a quiet blockbuster, I think - but believe that the quality of the actual content has been trending downward ever since THE SIXTH SENSE. I found SIGNS to be totally silly, nonsensical and ultimately pointless. I really don’t want to open a can of worms, but how the idea of an alien invasion of a planet that is two-thirds comprised of the one thing that can kill them got into a major motion picture is totally beyond me.

I think Shyamalan may be suffering from Lucas Syndrome: his insane box-office success has very quickly propelled him to the point where his scripts are sold before they are written, he has complete creative control and nobody is really in a position to challenge his vision, so when a screw rattles loose there’s no system in place to correct it and the result is a baffling mess like SIGNS.

Yeah seriously.

I was watching the movie and about halfway through, I figured out Shyhymenaleyneands inspiration - Monty Python. Just imagine the brainstorming session before the shoot.

“Right, well, we’ll get everyone all tense and serious, and when the aliens finally arrive we’ll do something completely stupid and throw them off scent. The ass-licking maniacs will try and work it into some sort of logical sense, while everyone else just laughs at the subtle Monty humor we inserted. Aliens invading the Earth, but stopped by a door? And the Earth’s surface is composed of 80% of a substance that kills them on sight? They’re like the Wicked Witch aliens, yes, yes! Haw-haw, too funny.”

DELETED

It’s a Cleve thread! He ruins every other thread he steps into, with some nonsense about blackasiajew conspiracy theories.

Shit, let me ruin this one for him.

Hey Cleve, listen, I’ve got a little problem. See, I’ve been thinking about the emerging power of China and, well, given America’s inevitable decline, I think it’d be smart to get together with a Chinese girl, and raise the kid to read and speak the language. What do you think?[/quote]

To be fair, Jakub, Cleve has been totally civil in this thread so far and has not deviated from the posted topic, at least not in any obnoxious or offensive way. We’re having a good conversation. So why step in and bait him? As much as I and others have had a major problem with him in other threads, the situation isn’t helped by people who seem to want to encourage and perpetuate the madness with posts like yours. Why would you want to derail a perfectly good discussion?

Fair enough. I’ll edit my post.

I just figured if a thread that mattered to him got trolled, maybe he’d stop doing the same to ours.

Cleve, can you let us know if you can get a DVD from anywhere that works in Australia? I’m looking forward to this one as well.
All this talk about an empty London reminds me of an old English series about a virus that killed of most people and left a small amount to try and carry on. What was the name of it- the Survivors or something like that?
I like those sort of scenarios.

It was indeed called Survivors.

I haven’t seen any episodes but intend to buy the DVD when its released as I, too, find post-apocalyptic survivalism scenarios strangely fascinating.

I just finished a jaunt of watching Romero’s “Dead” movies. I agree with Cleve that the gore was gratuitous (in “Day”), but sickening scenes didn’t ruin the horror effect for me. I think it portrayed the zombies as more repulsive and savage; the gross-out factor also helps the audience understand that getting devoured by zombies sometimes doesn’t result in simply becoming a gray-faced zombie yourself. Sometimes it’s just a messy death.

Now the thing most horrific about Day of the Dead was the freakin’ Casiotone score. Cheesy can be fun, but that music is damn awful.

Oh yeah? I bet if we had practical space-faring technology and found a planet that had resources critical to us, even though it was 2/3 covered with acid, we’d go. Hell, the arctic is harsh, but we’re up there looking for oil. Poeple will have to go there and live to work the lines. Same with lots of other environments here.

Uh, if the planet rained acid every third day, I’d like to think that, given we have spaceships and ray guns, we’d wear PROTECTIVE SUITS so we wouldn’t melt like butter over an open flame.

But that’s just me.

:)

Joe, in such a circumstance where the US of A found, say, oil on Saddam A01109 in the Orion belt, and the atmosphere of said astroid was comprised entirely of ricin, would the Americans strip down into their underoos to conquer it? Because the highly developed aliens with the hunger for human flesh and the gelatinously shuddering super cerebellums in Signs decided to invade a world comprised of 90% water without wearing any protective gear whatsoever.

Look, man, they checked weather.com, it was all clear. Get off their case.