Ron Moore to give keynote at GDC2006

For you BSG fans, Moore will be giving the keynote for the Vision track, at noon on Wednesday of the conference. Here’s the first couple of paragraphs of the press release:

“BATTLESTAR GALACTICA” CREATOR/PRODUCER RONALD D. MOORE
TO KEYNOTE 2006 GAME DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE

Sci-Fi Veteran To Discuss The Reimagining, Reinventing, and Resurrecting
Of The Beloved Space Opera To Create A Modern Day Masterpiece

SAN FRANCISCO - February 6, 2006 - Creator and producer of the new “Battlestar
Galactica” Ronald D. Moore will deliver the keynote address of the “vision track”
at the 2006 Game Developers Conference (GDC). GDC is the world’s largest event
solely dedicated to the advancement of resources, tools, and inspiration used
to create interactive games. This year’s conference will take place Monday through
Friday, March 20-24, at the San Jose Convention Center.

In the vision keynote, entitled “Building a Better Battlestar,” Moore will discuss
his pioneering global application of realism to story and characters in the science
fiction genre, and his experiences creating something new and successful out
of an existing and adored intellectual property. During the keynote, Moore will
discuss each element of the rebirth of “Battlestar Galactica,” using clips and
props from the production of the show as references."

Cool, but why? Just because BSG is awesome?

As I was reading it I was thinking the exact same thing to my self. BSG is indeed awesome but it seems kinda outa place.

His topic will be about how to resurrect an old and outdated IP and turn it into something that’s got pop culture buzz, which is something that the games industry keeps trying to do.

Plus, I suspect the GDC guys are all BSG nerds as well.

Sure, if it were the programming keynote, it’d be out of place. However, as the vision keynote for a technology-centric entertainment industry that heavily utilizes licensed material, it seems completely appropriate to me.

• Alan