Ronnie Barker Passes Away

BBC News Article.

I always had a good laugh watching the Two Ronnies.

I’m surprised he was only 76, it seems like I watched him my whole life. I’d have added 20 years to his age.

Rest, mate.

Seems like the second generation is starting to pass on.
(The first being “Beyond the Fringe” and “The Goons”.)

I always wonder if there are any up and comers after The Comic Strip folks (who seem to have crested with AbFab).

Sacha Baron Cohen? Who else?

Apparently people around the UK are playing four candles in their windows as a tribute. Gotta love that.

Sacha Baron Cohen

I still can’t believe that people find this idiot funny. He’s created one character that was mildly amusing for the first show and then flogged it to death ever since. If this is going to be our comedy heritage for the 90’s then I’m going to weep.

I always wonder if there are any up and comers after The Comic Strip folks

Peter Kay - Phoenix nights, stand up, Paddy and Max.

Bill Bailey - Black Books, panelist on numerous things, stand up, musician etc.

Chris Morris/Armando Ianucci - Brasseye etc.

Ricky Gervais - Office and Extras and a few standup bits.

If they can follow up Little Britain then David Walliams and Matt Lucas.

Steve Coogan - Not a great fan of a lot of his stuff, but Alan Partridge, Day today with Chris Morris, numerous crap films, stand up etc.

League of Gentlemen - Not my cup of tea but going for a long time and writing stuff for other people now.

The one plus to RB’s passing is that the beeb will now innundate us with the Two Ronnies, Porridge and Open all hours for the next few weeks.

He’s brilliant in 24 Hour Party People.

Eric before Ern, Barker before Corbett… there’s no justice in this world.

I just listened to the first radio episode of “Little Britain”. (Someone in the office had been trying to get me to listen to it for a while.)
Tom Baker!
Definitely getting the DVD set for my mother for her birthday.

“Gentlemen…there is a thief among us.”

:)

Nostalgia goggles are on maxmimum power but Porridge was a great show.

Through nostalgia goggles “The Goodies” was pretty damn good too. I also enjoyed “The Kenny Everett Video Show.”

“Benny Hill” not so much…

I enjoyed it in highschool. But then again, any show featuring scantily clad women worked for me in high school.

I used to love Kenny Everett and the Goodies.

Apparently the Goodies is one of the few successful shows here that has never been available on Video/DVD, nor has ever been repeated by either station that made it despite it consistently cropping up in people’s favourites.

[quote=“Timemaster_Tim”]

I enjoyed it in highschool. But then again, any show featuring scantily clad women worked for me in high school.[/quote]

Well yeah, but even through the fog of nostalgia I still recognize that it was crap and that I was too young to know better.

No kidding! I tried to watch a Benny Hill epsiode a couple of years ago, just for, you know, nostalgia and all that. I couldn’t watch more than a few minutes before giving up.

I must admit that even in university, me and my room-mates still watched Benny Hill (and the Twenty Minute Workout).