Roomba: anyone have one?

Yeah, but the regular vacuum you have to clean the brushes as well, I guess less, because you are using it less than a Roomba? I had to spend 10 minutes cleaning the brushes on my main vacuum because of that just last week.

I found my biggest drawback has been making sure a room is Roomba ready. I still haven’t let it loose in the living room because there is just too many cords/speaker wire I am concerned about and I don’t want to mess with it. My other rooms the prep wasn’t much, mainly stray charging cables (it got my Kindle cable yesterday) and hidden cat toys. It did suck up a sock under my bed today and I had to come rescue it.

It’s still a new toy, so maybe after some time it won’t be worth it because of the little things? Only friends I had that used them stopped because the Roomba broke.

Ours has one brush and one rubber roller. Still have to get out the pet hair that winds around the axle, but a lot less work than the brush. Do the make some with only rubber rollers? Do those work as well on pet hair?

Way less. Maybe we aren’t doing it right, but cleaning the brushes on the conventional vacuum is an every few years chore, not a daily one.

Why? I mean, why do they do it. I understand why you wouldn’t like it.

Yeah, mine has two rollers. I think it’s essentially designed specifically for pet hair. It picks up all the hair in the house.

Yeah but the rollers (which mine has) aren’t perfect. As I mentioned above, and saw mentioned in Amazon reviews, it leaves little bits of fur on the floor. Mine leaves these little ropes of twisted cat hair. Not a lot, and they are easy to pick up, but the rollers aren’t perfect.

Huh, that’s weird, I’ve never had that problem.

The practical reason to improve the devices would be better sweep patterns and hazard avoidance. The greedy reason is behavioral tracking for marketing and data sale.

The threats are house mapping and knowledge of when occupants are likely not at home. Even worse if the device has a camera.

Vacuumed for the first time since getting the Roomba. Made a huge difference. I haven’t used the Roomba in half of the house so I had two busy areas to compare. In the Roomba rooms there was still a fair amount picked up, but nothing compared to the non-Roomba area. That makes me feel a lot better about spending that kind of money on one of these things.

This also means I probably need a better standard vacuum that works on this dense carpet I have. Currently have a Shark, but think I need a bag based vacuum meant for dense carpets.

Our shark is the best vac I’ve ever owned by miles.

Yeah, don’t get me wrong, the Shark is a great vacuum, but as I described somewhere above, I have this really dense carpet that supposedly needs a higher-end vacuum to thoroughly clean. I just haven’t wanted to spend that kind of money, robot vacuums are sexy and cool, an $800 Miele not so much.

Yeah, didn’t mean you were wrong or anything, just not sure what would actually be better (without going into that territory). Certainly not something like a Dyson.

How is this a threat?

You clearly haven’t seen the latest Boston Dynamics videos.

I have a Roomba 770 which is about 7 years old. Its having some problems, mostly it gets lost and sometimes will run for like 10 minutes before it decides to dock again. You can restart it and then it will run for like an hour. I have replaced a number of parts.

I am kind of tired of it and was wondering if there were any other brands of floor cleaner robots anyone can recommend.

I may also be interested in a mopping bot, but the last time I checked, a few years ago, none of them were very good.

Neato would be my recommendation. Maybe wait for a sale though. I got a massive discount on a new model last Prime Day.

How do these robot vacuums deal with say a 1" rise or drop room transition ?

They don’t. Mine gets stuck on the transition from tile to carpet sometimes. A Roomba.

Never tried on a one inch, but mine handles carpet/wood transitions fine. It does get caught up all the time on a tassled rug though.

Our new house is set up well for robots – specifically a robot vacuum. My childhood dream of a robot friend like the robot in Lost in Space may never come to be, but I’d like a robot vacuum cleaner at least.

So, any recommendations? I’d probably like to keep it under $400, preferably closer to the $200 I see them on sale for frequently.

I know Roombas have the name recognition, but there are probably other brands just as good. There seem to be so many brands that it makes me believe these are viable products that work, at least mostly well. There’s a market for them.

Any tips appreciated.