Root - A Frisky Forum Forest Game

Ah there you are! Well if @Cuthbert doesn’t mind, I can put you back in his place and then we won’t get crushed by the Eyrie, steeped in dozens of games’ worth of experience, returning to claim their glory.

Of course, that’s fine, I’ll get in on the next one, provided you stop talking me up to make my inevitable failure more ironic

The game has begun! Initial setup file is posted to the Google Drive vlog folder. Please read the instructions in the OP for how to take your turn and how to handle cards.

It is the Marquise’s (@rowe33’s ) turn to set up. Please step through the setup log file, continue with a new one, draw your hand of 3 cards, select your corner, and place your initial buildings and armies.

Starting my turn! Will take me a bit tonight as I’ve got kids & dinner to worry about. How quickly are we aiming for this game to move along?

One turn a day? No rush. Take your time.

I’ve done my setup but I’m not sure how to increment the turn marker before I save and upload.

EDIT - and now I’m thinking I don’t actually have to increment a turn marker because we’re just doing setup, right? But I’m unable to upload to the google drive - says I don’t have permission.

@Matt_W

Oh right. Sorry bout that. You should be able to upload now.

I don’t think there’s a turn marker in this Vassal module. We just end our turn and then alert the next player.

All set! set up in the SW corner - feel free to fast forward past my various attempts at setting up in other corners before that :D

Sorry, @Cuthbert you’re actually up next for setup as the Eyrie. I was looking at the initial post which had @thraeg still listed - sorry folks.

Thanks @rowe33. Looks like it took some trial and error, but everything looks good to me :) And yes, I can’t see your cards. Good, I was worried that wouldn’t work.

I put @Thraeg back in the Eyrie spot. You’re up @Thraeg. Please draw your hand of 3 cards, choose your leader, place your viziers and set up in the northeast corner opposite the Marquise’s keep.

Ok, I was able to load the game and I think I set it up properly. When stepping through the previous turn, a lot of steps seemed to have nothing happen – does that mean that the moves were on the Marquis’s separate board, and is that supposed to be visible?

Also, as far as I can see, there’s no way to automatically sync the shared folder to desktop with Google Drive Sync, as that feature is locked to paid school/work accounts (https://support.google.com/drive/answer/7638428). Not a big deal to manually copy the save back and forth, but wanted to make sure I’m not overlooking something.

@Kolbex to play.

Yeah, those step probably were happening in one of the private boards. Many modules annotate every move, but the module programmer has to program that stuff in, and this one doesn’t have it.

You can look at other players’ boards. You just won’t be able to see the front of their cards.

Try using Google Backup and Sync. I’m using a private account and it works for me.

Sorry, that’s what I meant. I think the syncing to desktop works for you because you’re the owner of the folder. The rest of us, I believe, can access it through the Drive website, but can’t automatically sync the folder to desktop.

Huh, I wonder if I share directly with your email address and then give you full access to the folder if it will work. If you want, you can PM me your email address and we can try it. I think this worked for the High Frontier PBF game I ran a few months ago.

So @Kolbex, you just need to draw your hand of 3 cards. (Don’t put them on the outlined space next to your board.) And then draw 3 more cards to your supporters.

I…think I did it? I drew some cards, anyway! They’re all in my player board (BUT NOT IN THE OUTLINED SPACE). I see that there are two decks, and it’s been long enough that I don’t remember what the deck of cards with the Vagabond looking skeevy on it is for, and actually I don’t see any mention of them in the playbook, absurdly. I hope I’m just overlooking it, but I seem to recall having an incredibly hard time actually learning how to play from the books included in the box.

Those are the Vagabond’s quest cards.

I imagine those are the quest cards? But there’s also an alternate deck in one of the expansions, it could be those

My setup is done and we’re ready to start turns. Here is the board state:

I propose that we do die rolls in Vassal (using the custom button) and just trust that we’re not cheating. If the other players would rather use an external die roller we can do that instead.

@rowe33, you’re up for the Marquise’s first turn. (Please let me know if you can see my quest cards. They should be face up, but I can’t tell if they are for everyone else.)

You can cheat with vassal die rolls?

I’d guess that if you reload the save from the start of your turn and replay your actions for the turn, nobody else would have a way to know that the .vlog file you upload for the turn isn’t your original attempt. Though I don’t know if Vassal preserves randomness seeds to partially counteract that.

Anyway, I’m fine with the honor system plan.

I can definitely see your quest cards - figuring out my turn now!