Root - A Frisky Forum Forest Game

Tricksy squirrelses.

Bumpin the thread, baby, what’s shakin in the woods.

@rowe33 I’m continuing to attack you in the SE. Any ambush?

I will decline an Ambush at the present time as that cat is pretty freaking badass on his own. I’ll give you a chance to change your mind before messing with him though.

I added a mouse card to Recruit, and recruited in both my roost clearings, then sent warriors south and east from my home clearing, and finished evicting the cat interlopers from the SE corner (their vaunted champion turned out to be merely a paper tiger). Over to @Kolbex

Revolted in the southeast clearing, mobilized a supporter, moved a warrior and Organized it to spread sympathy Board:

Vagabond’s turn:
Birdsong: I refreshed 5 of my items (leaving the sword exhausted) and slipped east.
Daylight:

1. Exhausted a boot to move NW to the WA’s Fox base.
  2. Exhausted a hammer to use a fox card to craft another hammer for +2VP
  3. Exhausted my torch to explore the ruins and discovered another boot. +1VP
  4. Exhausted my new boot to move N to the bird-ruled clearing.
  5. Exhausted my new hammer to Aid the birds with a rabbit card claiming the sack they’d crafted earlier and increasing my friendliness with them for +1VP.
    (There’s no card exchange spot on the Eyrie mat, so I put the card in the vizier stack. I hope that works.)

Evening:

1. Drew a card. Hand and satchel are within limits.

Current map:

Vagabond board:

@rowe33, you’re up.

What the hell, man, how do you stop the vagabond from running away with the game!

The vagabond can be attacked. I don’t lose warriors, but I do have to damage my items. And if you attack me and I deal any defense damage, it automatically moves me to hostile.

It doesn’t get anyone points though, unfortunately

Good point. That’s an interesting facet of the Vagabond–that hurting them doesn’t help anyone.

Marquise turn:

Moved card to Alliance for last turn’s Outrage.

Birdsong

• Placed wood

Daylight

• No crafting or Battle
  • 1 - build a workshop, -2 wood, +2 VP
  • 2 - Recruit
  • 3 - Overwork, discard Fox card

Evening

• Make extra move
  • Draw 1 card + 1 bonus card

All set - @Thraeg

I’ve recruited more warriors in the east clearing and marched six of them two steps west to attack the Alliance (I was able to rule the intermediary clearing in order to move there due to my passive ability to win ties for clearing rulership).

I’ve given @Kolbex a fox card from my hand, and am now declaring the first of my two available battles for the turn in this clearing. @Kolbex, any ambush?

Oh shit, sorry, forgot about this after clearing out the notification earlier. I actually do have an Ambush card I would like to play, I promise this time!

Gotcha. You removed 2 of my warriors with the ambush, and the dice were a 3 and a 2. You get the 3 due to guerrilla tactics, but since you only have two warriors in the clearing you’re limited to two hits. I got the 2 and dealt 2 hits, removing both of your warriors.

I’m declaring another battle in the same clearing against the undefended token and building. Got another ambush (or any other effect I’m not aware of that would have changed the result of the first battle)?

Nope!

Alright. Then I’ve completed my turn, and you’re up. My warriors have successfully, though with substantial losses, conquered that clearing and placed a new roost there.

By my reckoning, you need to:

• discard the ambush card
  • add a card from the deck to your supporter stack (since I destroyed your sympathy token and didn’t have any matching cards in hand)
  • remove officers and supporters for losing the building.

FWIW, don’t forget that tokens and buildings removed from the board do not return to your player mat. They’re just out of the game (as @Thraeg did correctly.) My kids and I played this rule wrong for several games.

Are you sure? The rule book says both buildings and tokens fo go back to the rightmost empty space on your board

Damnit, you’re right. Of course, that rule is not in the Battle section, which merely says that buildings and tokens are “removed.” It’s in the Key Terms section, under the definitions of Buildings and Tokens, which says that when they’re removed they’re returned to the rightmost empty space of the track.

So of course my kids and I were playing correctly at first, and switched to incorrectly. Also, the base and supporter that @Thraeg removed should go to the Alliance’s mat. Looks like @rowe33 did it correctly two rounds ago. And I don’t think any other buildings/tokens have been removed.