Rooting my new Samsung Epic 4G

So, I know it’s possible and I know it’s something I want to do, but as often happens with these things I’m very confused about how to go about it and what I might want to procure and install afterwards.

In particular, while I’ve got my eye on a few root-requiring apps (like tethering and removing Sprint bullshit) I am not clear on what my options might be for ROMs and similar and what I might be losing out on in exchange. I like the sound of Android 2.2 (and no, the Epic 4G doesn’t have it installed by default or available from Sprint or Samsung yet) and I’m not sure yet if there’s 4G in areas I commonly go (it’s not rolled out area-wide in the Twin Cities yet but I was assured by a guy in Radio Shack that there were areas, including his, that did have it.

Check out unrevoked.com for a one-click root (I used it for my Desire, easy as pie).

Check forum.xda-developers.com for all ROM related info. There are many helpful and knowledgeable people there.

Edit: Oh, your phone is not supported by unrevoked… Well, check xda. There’ll be help.