Rothfuss Kingkiller Chronicles picked up by Lionsgate

Hamilton creator on board for apparent series

click through reveals this:

Lionsgate has a multipronged plan on adapting the epic fantasy book,
simultaneously developing movies and a a premium quality drama series,
the latter of which will expand on the world outside of the books.

Lindsey Beer, one of the writers working on Transformers 5, has been tapped to adapt the first book in the series, The Name of the Wind, for the big screen.

I have no idea how they can make The Name of the Wind into a a 2-hour movie. Or even 4 hours.

Well, there’s about 500 pages of Kvothe counting his money you can cut.

And then spending said money on a fancy new coat that HE DOESN’T NEED!

Does this mean Rothfuss is actually going to finish the series and do it in three books? And I thought some network had already bought the TV rights to this?

Per the above article…

Showtime is also currently developing a “Kingkiller Chronicle” TV show based on the series.

Basically I loved the first book and thought the second book was mostly a waste of time. I would read the third if it came out, but to finish this series in three books the third book will either jump greatly in time or be 1,500 pages long.

There’s a contract for this movie to basically adapt the first book. There’s a contract for Lin-Manuel Miranda to work on a TV series for Showtime, set in the same world but a generation or so earlier. Neither contract requires Pat to have the third book finished…though yeah that would be awfully nice.

Miranda must really love the character to think this has stage play potential.

After two books… the story is like 25% finished (if that). Not sure how he’s going to do the rest in just one book.

Also, I stopped liking most of the characters after Book 2.

Yeah, book 2 needed about 500 pages edited out. The short novella set at the school was pretty good however.

I’d be much happier if Miranda directed his time towards something other than this series. Waste of talent.

What djscman said.

There’s a movie that will apparently be of the books, that has Sam Raimi attached to it.

The Showtime series that they’re funding has John Rogers (ack) assigned as showrunner, and appears to be a prequel to the events in the the first book.

Is there any point in reading the first 2 books, if there is sooo much still to go & no end in sight?

Jordan & Martin really killed my interest in starting incomplete series…

Well, I dislike the books, so I would say “No”.

Thanks for the input. Seemed like I’ve been hearing about this series for sooo long & with the TV deal, I thought it might be time to give it a go.

I really loved the first book when it hit during college for me. Shades of Harry Potter esque magic school adventures mixed in with a cool frame story twist, lots of cool intimated backstory hooks, an interesting magic system (at a time when I was still “into” interesting magic systems), and–and to be clear, for much the same reasons as you, re: Martin and Jordan, this was genuinely important to me–an author who said he’d already finished the trilogy after a decade of work at grad school and would just be able to put finishing touches on books 2 and 3 before releasing them.

Four years later when book 2 came out, obviously the shine had come off the latter point (and even moreso 7 years hence with no sign of book 3 on the horizon). But moreover, in book 2, the story spun around in a handful of locales without seeming to move forward much. The dopey Gary Sue esque love storylines from book 1 came back in far more, erm, explicit and trying forms, while a lot of the stuff I liked, like the magic school, was getting pushed to the back burner. The frame story sputtered and halted. And by the end of the book, I felt like almost none of the interesting questions from the first book had been answered while the plot had advanced very little, all of which made me even less interested in the new questions this book raised.

Moreover, it felt like, based on the bits and pieces of the MC’s later life we have gathered through clues, the “main story” wasn’t anywhere close to a conclusion, which probably meant one of two things for book 3: it would either need to rush through a lot of seemingly cool moments in order to reach the conclusions we knew it must, or that this trilogy was about to turn into a quadrilogy or worse. (To be fair to Rothfuss, there’s also strong textual evidence that this winds up being very much not a prototypical fantasy coming of age story and all the Bildungsroman building block puzzle boxes he’s laid out are a wildly elaborate series of red herrings that disguise his goal of turning the model on its head and giving us a very different conclusion than what I’d–personally, of course–enjoy at all)

In the intervening near-decade, the author’s highly public presence combined with seemingly interminable progress on the novel took on Martin-esque levels of absurdity, especially when he’d occasionally lash out at fans over the inevitable questions that would raise. Watching him fritter away time on RPG projects, novellas, cons, and his (admittedly very cool) charity side project via his blog while the book deadlines slipped further and further turned frustration into outright anger for a lot of folks, self included.

When I’d finished book 2, I was very annoyed by parts of it, but still mostly onboard with the Rothfuss train, hopeful it would go somewhere good (and still enamored of his writing, which I think is very lovely in a way mainstream fantasy rarely achieves). In all the years since, I can’t say my opinion has improved at all.

Thanks for the detailed recap, guess I’ll put it aside for now as a wait-and-see series…

Perhaps I should look into the Malazan series instead, that seems to have some fans & appears to be further along.

That’s pretty spot on with how I felt about the books.

So are there other fantasy series that are about being in school, at least in part? Or just good fantasy series similar to Martin or what Rothfuss’ series appeared to be at first?

Malazan is my favorite series of all time despite not finishing it. I stopped regularly reading when I moved to Raleigh and lost track of the books, though I keep meaning to go back and finish the last few.

The main series is complete, and was done within about a decade of the first book’s release (impressive, given that it’s a five-book cycle). In the meantime, the author’s old gaming buddy he designed the world and story with has also released a loose series of companion novels that flesh out side stories, while the author himself has gone on to do other series in the world. But seriously, after working to get the first book published for years, Erikson penned and released 3,000,000 words worth of 9 more novels in the space of 12 years. He’s a machine in the same vein as Brandon Sanderson, IMO. He’s 2/3rds of the way through the prequel trilogy with plans for another (albeit sequel) trilogy afterward.

It’s enormously complex and dense at points, and plagued by the unusual fact that the first book is probably the weakest (it’s not bad by any means; just not up to the excellent standard of the rest of the series), but it has my strongest recommendation.

I’ll also say it’s not especially similar to Kingkiller in terms of tone, storyline, or humor–it’s dark, oftentimes bleak, broad-spanning, wildly open with its history and mysteries, and stuffed to the gills with viewpoint characters and plotlines to follow. But it’s also run-through with surprising humanity, humor, and hope, despite the body count. . .

That goes for you, too, @Rock8man, though there’s not much in the way of magic schooling to be had.

If you want to read a weird mix of magic school antics, grad school angst, dark-ass Narnia fanfic, and snark, pick up The Magicians series, though.

I think you can read the first book and enjoy it without going any further, but there really is no reason to read the second book unless there is a good third book to continue on to.

I second this. The first book - despite obviously kicking off a series - is nonetheless a great stand-alone story that can be fully enjoyed in isolation.