Rothfuss Kingkiller Chronicles picked up by Lionsgate

Thirded. The first book is amazing and very nearly required reading if you are into the fantasy genre.

Or not. I’m very much into fantasy and thought it was terrible. I’ll never understand the passion some people feel for it.

Not everything works for everyone. If it did we’d live in a pretty drab world. But the majority of fantasy enthusiasts enjoy it, so I have no problem recommending it to anyone that asks.

No, I get it, just objecting to the nearly required reading part. It grates on me to this day.

My sister-in-law loves Fantasy and Sci-fi, but also she’s a band geek. So I knew she would love this series. And she did, of course. The one criticism this series gets a lot is that the main character is good at everything. But band geeks already like to think of themselves as good at everything, so that part made sense to her. :)

(I should clarify that the main character is a musician).

My younger daughter is fairly new to the reading bug and she loves fantasy/young adult type stuff and one of her reading on-line friends has recommended this to her. I have loaned her my copy and told her to enjoy it but forget about the second book. She also asked about my Song of Fire and Ice books and I told her to forget about them for now.

The fantasy equivalent of playing an RPG on easy mode with cheats enabled. Pretty sure Rothfuss is just projecting his own ego into the book, or at least that’s how it felt to me.

Based on what someone wrote above and what I got from the first two books I think the story will eventually be about the fall of the main character, and how he couldn’t do everything he thought he could.

FWIW, it is supposed to just be a trilogy, so the end should be in sight (someday).

I would also recommend the novella “The Slow Regard of Silent Things”, I found it fascinating and really enjoyed it (and as a novella, was mostly devoid of the please, please get a better editor problem which plagued the 2nd book - and parts of the 1st book)…

Supposed to be just a trilogy, but there really is no way, short of a 2,000 page book it will be. Either that or the main character must become a hermit at some point and things skip forward many years.

Hence the emphasis ;)

Maybe keeping readers hanging and waiting for the next book is good for job security?

Yea, I think we will see the end of this series about the same time we see GRRM finish that series.

Think that was me.

My guess is that the series is really about how heroic legends are more accidents of happenstance, hearsay, and people trying desperately to apply sensible, concrete narratives to chaotic, confusing, hurtful realities. Kvothe has become this mythic figure in the minds of the populace, fulfilling the roles of many similar mythic characters in various degraded versions of creation myths and heroic tales he and others have sung and stumbled across. . . but even in the first two books, we have ample evidence that a lot of his reputation thus far arises from accidents, misunderstandings, and luck as much as his actual talents (however much he might feel compelled to inflate them).

AKA, not a lot of kings will be killed in terribly dramatic ways, and we’re going to learn that the world is a lot less saved during the framestory timeline than I suspect we were supposed to be lead to believe.

The first book is great. I also thoroughly enjoyed the second book. Kvothe is a wonderful character, and if he is good at pretty much everything, well he is funny looking, so good for him. If the story was never completed, I would still be happy to have read the first two books. Same goes for the first three Martin Westeros books.

I concur about the 1st book, and I enjoyed the 2nd book, but don’t you think the time in Faeryland could have been trimmed by at least 100 pages? There was a HUGE slog there which really should have been cut down by a good editor, IMHO.

Edit: and if you enjoyed both the books, definitely check out the novella, though it is a bit different, as it isn’t Kvothe as the narrator, but still very enjoyable, IMHO.

I personally enjoyed the fairyland sex, so didn’t notice the extra length much.

See, I just don’t enjoy reading about the life of Donald Trump, even if it’s been converted to fantasy form. I’m shocked that you do :D

To be clear, if the series winds up being what I assume it will be, I’ll dislike it very much. Trump-esque or otherwise, I find deconstructions of the hero in my heroic fantasy very tiresome.

Wait, there’s more fantasy novels that do that? Any others you can point to that had good writing, but you were only turned off because of the deconstruction of the hero?