ROTK Trailer

I give unto you…

The Return of the King Trailer

s’in Quicktime.

Haven’t checked out it yet, gettin’ it now.

Crap, no Shelob. Fell Beasts look 6 kinds of groovy, though.

Zzzzz…

ROTK? More like ROFL!

Um, no.

— Alan

I think it looks pretty cool.

I just can’t wait to see this movie.

Yeah, they even don’t run away when you shoot arrows at them! How cool isn’t that?

Bah.

Well, looks like the same kind of bubblegum action flick as the first two films. It’s going to be really embarrassing when they all try acting heroically at the court of Denethor or in the fields of Cormallen.

Nice enough to watch a couple of times but makes you wish someone would make a LOTR film in the manner of I Claudius… you know, with real actors, with a real script, and without any battle scenes.

Huh? Are you kidding?

But there are battles and fights in the books. And who wants to watch a movie of everyone just standing around and talking when the books were meant to be a big, epic journey to determine the fate of the world against the greatest evil ever known?

I’m just not sure where you’re coming from on this. I can’t see how the story could work as a film the way you’re describing it.

No, he’s German.

I thought the trailer looked pretty good. Too bad they didn’t have a “real actor” doing Sir Ian McKellen’s “fool’s hope” line, oh well. Also, the two shots with the Nazgul (taking out the catapult, and facing Gandalf on the wall) were awesome. The trailer was really too short (and too small) to love, but I am way psyched for the film.

Sadly, I’m not. I tried to rewatch the extended version of the Fellowship recently… and couldn’t. Now that I’ve gotten used to the sumptous setting, the great music etc. I just can no longer overlook the ridiculous overacting, the stupid jokes, the absence of just about any kind of character development (save Boromir), and the constant rewriting of the book – either to remove almost all dialogue that would require some concentration to understand, or to show off the expensive stars, or just to bring in yet another unnecessary action sequence.

Conan the Barbarian and Excalibur seem to improve with every viewing. That’s just not true for LOTR, I’ve found it to be nearly as shortlived as The Matrix.

Are you German too?

Nope, he’s a lawyer.

I find the movies to be infinitely better than the terminally boring books.

Are you German too?[/quote]
That was good old American sarcasm, my friend.

Yeah, seriously. I can think of things that one might complain about in Jackson’s films, but the caliber of the actors and their performances would not be one of them. I can’t imagine a better cast for the films.

Amazing – these are some of the best movies of all time, which is nice and fitting for the best books of all time.

If Chris’s complaint is that “they’re as bad as the Matrix!”, that’s cool too, since that’s easily the best sci-fi flick in 20 years (since Blade Runner).

I can’t imagine a better cast for the films.

Jeez, I can. Almost anybody would be better than Elijah Wood, Fatsy Whatsisface and the Kiwi Doofus Duo for the hobbits. Or whomever that Geoffery Rush retarded doppelganger was who played the King of Rodan in the last film. These are some of the worst film performances I’ve ever seen, and juxtaposed with the likes of Ian McClellan (who seemed positively bored in the last film) and Cate Blanchette only makes the poverty of their thespian talents all the more evident. Note to directors: always cast bad actors with mediocre actors, or mediocre actors with great ones… the marked difference in quality will blend into a spectrum. Conversely, never ever cast Elijah Wood alongside Ian McClellan. Or cast Elijah Wood in anything except a homoerotic snuff film, for that matter.

Jeez, I can. Almost anybody would be better than Elijah Wood, Fatsy Whatsisface and the Kiwi Doofus Duo for the hobbits. Or whomever that Geoffery Rush retarded doppelganger was who played the King of Rodan in the last film. These are some of the worst film performances I’ve ever seen, and juxtaposed with the likes of Ian McClellan (who seemed positively bored in the last film) and Cate Blanchette only makes the poverty of their thespian talents all the more evident. Note to directors: always cast bad actors with mediocre actors, or mediocre actors with great ones… the marked difference in quality will blend into a spectrum. Conversely, never ever cast Elijah Wood alongside Ian McClellan. Or cast Elijah Wood in anything except a homoerotic snuff film, for that matter.

I enjoy a snarky insult as much as the next fella, but please get your facts CLOSE to straight before you wail away.

Neither the actor who plays Merry, nor the actor who plays pippin are Kiwis.

King of Rodan? What, did they fly him in from Monster Island?

and the constant rewriting of the book – either to remove almost all dialogue that would require some concentration to understand, or to show off the expensive stars, or just to bring in yet another unnecessary action sequence.

If you think that ANY of the actors cast in the entire LOTR trilogy were considered “expensive stars” by New Line, you have a great deal to learn about the moviemaking machine in this country…making me disinclined to respect your opinions on the matter.

Thanks to spacemonkey for pointing out that the superscripted n luminescently hovering over his head stands for “nerd to the infinite power”. I’d been wondering about that. I’m sure that if you’d snorted out that geekier-than-thou-retort at Gencon or a comic book store somewhere, your target would have been nuclear obliterated by the burn. As it is, I couldn’t care less about your precious hobbits, your imaginary horse kingdom or your homemade chainmail and beanbag spells, so go back to Simarillion* humping, poindexter.

• = Spacemonkey! Aim here!