RROD Question

My 360 is starting to crap the bed. It started to stutter and develop artifacts a couple of weeks ago, and now I’m starting to occasionally get the RROD. But only occasionally. That’s what seems weird.

About 3/4 of the time, it turns on okay and I can start to play a game. But then it freezes or stutters and I turn it off. And then the other 1/4 of the time it won’t turn on at all and I get the 3 red lights.

I haven’t done a TON of research on this yet, but I was under the impression that when you got the 3 red lights, your 360 was hosed and it wouldn’t come back (in other words, I hadn’t heard of an intermittent RROD situation that would come and go).

Is this common behavior for the RROD situation that’s covered under the 3 year warranty? I am somewhere between 1 and 3 years on my machine, so I want to make sure this qualifies for the extended 3 year warranty before I submit a claim.

Anyone have any experience with this type of 360 issue?

Actually it is pretty common for a RRODing 360 to fail in stages like you’re seeing, at least from what I read when my original box was failing in the same manner… a couple of days of checkerboard graphics patterns and temporary overheating RROD shutoffs followed by a grand finale RROD it never booted up from again. Sooner or later you’re gonna get nothing but RROD as soon as you turn it on. You might as well start the return process now, you should be covered under the 3 year RROD warranty coverage.

I’ve never gotten the RROD myself (my only failures have been disc drive failures, both times), but from friends and family, I’d say your experience is the norm. You get the RROD one day, but turn it on another day, and it seems to be working okay, other times you get strange graphical effects or freezing issues with no RROD. Go to service.xbox.com, and request a replacement.

Okay. Thanks guys.