RtCW: Enemy Territory

Just got off, the server was really hopping. Good times.

The readme helps, although it’s worthwhile just following someone around and watching what they do until you figure things out. I’m just happy that it’s fairly playable even on my crappy net connection. :)

• Alan ‘Itsatrap’ Au

You seemed to have a decent handle on things the last two time I’ve seen you on there Alan. Lotsa fun playing with folks from here as well as those Planetcrap people I’ve seen there too. I think Matt killed me more than anyone last night.

I had trouble last night with hitting F3 to start matches. When I hit the key, it didn’t register. I had to disconnect and reconnect to get in the match.

–Dave

By the way, if you copy your shortcut and change the copy’s target to

"C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory Map Test\ET.exe" +connect 198.107.48.52 +password planetcrap

you can connect directly. That also skips the opening movie.

The readme helps, although it’s worthwhile just following someone around and watching what they do until you figure things out. I’m just happy that it’s fairly playable even on my crappy net connection. :)

• Alan ‘Itsatrap’ Au[/quote]

i think we played with you

This may be a bug. I’ve learned that if you actually type /ready in the console it should start it (assuming everyone has).

We’re playing again tonight. Dave, what’s your name in the game?

I’m playing as Grimrod. I’ve pretty much adopted that across the board now for playing online. It’s an Alien Legion character name I always liked. Same thing for anyone still playing Age of Mythology that would want to add me to their friends list in that one.

We were on the same team the first night I played (I really sucked). We were on opposite teams last night and Friday/Saturday I think (I didn’t suck quite as bad).

I just have to read the docs so I’m more familiar with the XP system. I’ve earned binoculars in a couple matches time already. Those are handy.

–Dave

I think the proper phrase is ‘toyed with you’. heh

Oh, and to those who were involved in the conversation about which side has the advantage, I still think attackers have a leg up. Essentially, the defense must defeat every attack run while the clock runs down, but the attackers only need to succeed once. Thoughts?

• Alan ‘Itsatrap’ Au

I just played this for about 10 minutes and I’m ready to puke my guts up. The dudes move way to fast for me, especially if I’m on the ice!! My poor pedestrian ears brought on the motion sickness nearly instantly. I guess its back the slow moving games for me…

Hey Alan, this is |Nocturn|oink, I enjoyed shooting you :D .

yeah, the allies defenitly seem to have a big advantage on this map. Engineer + Covert Ops = a whole lot of pain. Stroker and I were able to devise a couple of clever schemes for planting the dynamite that really leaves the axis helpless. (Some plants make it near impossible to defuse within 30 seconds).

The only real saving grace for the axis is at the very beggining when the allies are building the bridge. It seems like the only time on the entire map where the axis have an advantage.

What interests me is how all the maps are going to work together in the full version. Apparently you’re supposed to play fuel dump, and then advance to the next map in the line up that coincides with the “campaign” you play in multiplayer. I’ve never seen a system like that implemented into a multiplayer game (gets done single player all the time though). It will be interesting to play on full release.

I’ll post the abusive planting tactics later if anyone’s interested. :twisted:

Not that you see it on many public servers, but if the allies win the Overlord map in Day of Defeat, the map advances to an inland version of the map for the next round. The allies start at the base of the bunkers, there are different objectives, and the allies have a secondary objective to blow up two 88mm guns.

I play as Foodbunny, I’ve seen a lot of you on :)

I don’t know that allies have that great of an advantage. I can’t point to any one specific thing but I play both sides pretty equally and I don’t really feel weak as the Axis. You definately need more engineers as Axis, though.

Does this involve the trick where you jump off the roof into the supposedly secure fenced-in area? I was playing with that trick the other night, much to the chagrin of the base defenders. :shock:

• Alan ‘Itsatrap’ Au

pretty much, alan. if there aren’t axis soldiers in the base watching the fuel dump at ALL TIMES, then the game’s pretty much over.

Does this involve the trick where you jump off the roof into the supposedly secure fenced-in area? I was playing with that trick the other night, much to the chagrin of the base defenders. :shock:

• Alan ‘Itsatrap’ Au[/quote]

doh, the secret’s out.

Yeah, that’s the big strat, and it’s nearly impossible to counter (unless you have 2-3 axis just sitting inside the dump).

I thought I was a super genius when I thought of it at first. Then I realized the reason this gave me so much pleasure was because I got to listen to nazi’s wimper post match. Boy, do I love hearing nazi’s cry :D. I’m not so smart after all. The roof tricks really awesome just because the enemy engineers get stopped by their own defenses which leads to much giggling every time I manage to plant the bomb.

I had a few other ideas that were so maniaclly good I was thinking of changing my name to Dr. Wiley. Then I read the players guide last night and realized it had most of these tips laid out already in it’s strategy section. Doh.

Good things the guide mentions:

• The covert ops detpack can instantly blow up the axis base defenses, there’s no need to plant two dynamites.
  • If you walk over a landmine and stop as soon as you hear the hissing noise it will not blow up. (and it should be defusable by engineers) <— nice for planting the bomb since it’s near garaunteed to have land mines at the choke points.
  • Remember Covert ops with stolen uniforms can open the metal doors that guard all main points of the axis base … as soon as there’s a hole in the metal grating at the iceriver/bridge the allies have a chance of planting for the win.

Yeah, Angie, you should try doing a covert ops + engineer combo with Matt G and see how it works out for you. I thought the sides were pretty even until stroker and I began exploiting that.

While the Allies might have an advantage if they’re clever and work together, nearly every pickup non-clan game I’ve played seems to weigh in the favor of the Axis because, naturally, most of the Allies were rambos trying to do their best individually

It’s also crazy tough to try to get someone’s attention if you want to collaborate with the engineer/covert ops thing or the walljumping thing. Team chatting is almost useless in a pickup game because your message will most likely disappear within half a second due to all the voicemessaging.

I wish they would make a voicemessage that says “Hey you goddamn Covert Ops! I’m an engineer so come with me and let’s infiltrate their base instead of just racking up XP”

We’re starting up a game right now for anyone who is interested.

What happened to the server? Is it down, or did it change address? :(

It’s down because it kept crashing. The guy who runs it suspects a crash exploit, since it was fine up until the day it died five times.