RTS games that you can pause?

This is semi-related to the geriatric RTS threads, but does anyone know of a place or site with a list of RTS type games that have a pause and give orders feature? That is, a game where you can pause the action, give orders, and resume.

I’m thinking along the lines of X-COM: Apocalypse and such. Simultaneous turn, e.g. Combat Mission series, would also be good.

Maybe we can wring the big brains in this forum, or maybe there exists a list fo games somewhere where you can filter results by this criteria. Any ideas?

Total Annihilation (what couldn’t that game do)

The Total War games, at least Rome and Medieval, don’t remember if you could in Shogun.

Codename Panzers Phase two, Soldiers Heroes of WW2, (plug) Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich, Empire Eath 2

Freedom Force isn’t an RTS, silly. It’s an RPG! And the Total War games really need it simply because the battles are so huge. I don’t know about the other games, but it seems pausing would be in direct contradiction with what most games of this genre have been designed to be since the beginning - insane clickfests.

The Myth games and Rise of Nations let you pause.

So do Homeworld and Warcraft III. I believe Age of Mythology does as well.

Close Combat.
One of the best Real Time warefare games, in my opinion. It’s like Battlefield, but in real time. [well, a bit shoddier AI, but online it’s brill - or was]

It’s more a question of what games DON’T let you pause and give orders anymore. In multiplayer you won’t find pausing and ordering in most titles but for single player, just about everything has it anymore.

–Dave

See, Dave, I thought this too. But Act of War came out last year (or was it earlier this year) and it won’t let you pause and give orders.

Blitzkrieg allow you to pause and issue orders.

Thats a damn fine RTS too.

I miss Myth. Too bad bungie isn’t their own house and no longer has rights to it anymore. :(

Stangely, Imperial Glory (which is VERY much like Rome: TW) doesn’t allow you to pause and give orders, and man is it the worse for it.

True dat. But the next best thing is the games still play wonderfully under XP using Project Magma.

Really? Wow. I’ve been out of the loop I suppose, the last RTS I played was C&C Generals, and probably Starcraft before that. I guess I never got into the “serious” ones. Anyway, as someone who’s only real RTS experience comes from Blizzard and C&C games, the idea of pausing and giving orders seems totally alien.

I’ve played a pile of RTS games. Chick and Xemu are probably the only ones that have played more here at Qt3 unless there’s someone floating around here that doesn’t talk about them that much. I really do love the genre. In the last year or two I’ve played less because my PC was aging but I’m quickly catching up on things I missed. The reason I say this is because it’s really hard for me to remember the last one played that didn’t allow me to issue orders after hitting the Pause key or the P key during single player play.

Some games do a poor job of registering those clicks visibly when you do this, but most games really do support that now. I can’t imagine playing something like Codename: Panzers (which is somewhat Myth-like) without it. Multiplayer is always a different story though, as it should be.

–Dave

Sadly, while AOM does support pausing and giving orders while paused, it’s not very well supported. The commands don’t go through until time starts up again, so if you are clicking to train units, for example, it’s pretty annoying.

Something I wished we had time to fix but just fell off the radar.

Yeah, that’s the kind of thing I was talking about with the poor registration of clicks. Still works though so it’s not that big a deal. It’s definitely a useful feature of single-player gameplay, especially in the campaigns. It’s less useful in skirmish modes of any of these games because you’re only stunting your own skill growth by using it as a crutch.

Lord knows Xemu has pounded me enough times in these games that I always play at “online speed” when I practice for multiplayer. :)

–Dave

True dat. But the next best thing is the games still play wonderfully under XP using Project Magma.[/quote]

It would be a treat to see someone bring Myth to the Xbox. Live is ideally suited for it.

True dat. But the next best thing is the games still play wonderfully under XP using Project Magma.[/quote]

It would be a treat to see someone bring Myth to the Xbox. Live is ideally suited for it.[/quote]
Live might be suited for it but the Xbox controller is not. I can’t imagine trying to play a fast-paced multiplayer RTS without a mouse and keyboard.

It would be a treat to see someone bring Myth to the Xbox. Live is ideally suited for it.[/quote]
Live might be suited for it but the Xbox controller is not. I can’t imagine trying to play a fast-paced multiplayer RTS without a mouse and keyboard.[/quote]

Yes, this is true, but then again setting it up with a mouse/keyboard is also possible.