Ruiner - Cyber City Miami 808

I’m surprised there wasn’t an existing thread for this since the announce trailer last year made such a splash.
Anyhoo, new trailer and a release date of Sept 26th

I never heard of it, looks good !

Am I sensing a little Crusader in this game??

I think I posted it to an indie games thread. I didn’t bother with a thread (or even add it to my wishlist) since the release date was TBA. Now we know it’s 9/26!

Was surprised to find out Susumu Hirasawa is doing some of the music. Always love his stuff.

More of an emphasis on powerups and tanking damage compared to something like Hotline Miami. I wonder if it’s even possible to do something like a no-damage run with all the bullets flying everywhere.

Looks great though. Only thing I don’t like is the “KILL BOSS” objective displayed across the screen like SUPERHOT and other games I can’t remember right now. It already feels trite.

Anyone going to play this? I preordered it but now I’m wondering why. There doesn’t appear to be a preorder bonus, and there’s no guarantee I’ll like this.

I am. Looks like they nail the atmosphere and the gameplay looks solid.

Finished it this morning. It’s pretty great. It nails the atmosphere/music. Mechanically It sits somewhere between Hotline Miami and a twin stick shooter with some elements from Tranistor. Controls are standard twin stick with pulling trigger to shoot, but you have a bunch of other skills like shields, flashbangs, and bullet time that you need to carefully manage as well. Another key element of the gameplay is the dash, where you can even hold it down to slow time to lay out waypoints to quick dash around the arena. You also have a strong melee attack, and will constantly be cycling weapons as they quickly run out of ammo. It’s frantic at times, and quite challenging, but level restarts are very quick.

I’ll pick it up in the November sale. I did see some kind of annoying restarts on a stream: die to the boss, have to play the easy fight beforehand. Oh well, guess I’ll just have to not die.

How precise is the aiming? I’m leaning toward gamepad for the melee and dashing.

I got by fine on the PS4 with the controller. Different guns have different spreads.

One other thing, you can respec skills at will, and I found rethinking my approach and skills often got me through a combat encounter I was stuck on.

It is a twin stick shooter, so played best with mouse/keyboard. YMMV.

I like it a lot. The game itself is a well done, if by the numbers, twin stick shooter.

I love the art, the atmosphere, the visuals, the sound, the story (which is pretty light but i like it). With all of the flashing visuals and sounds i worry the game is trying to hypnotize me to post positive comments. I would not play this game if you get seizures.

I don’t really follow the developer, or the game before release, but i did like hotline Miami and i can really see the similarities between the two games. I think i’ll be watching for what they do next;.

This looks great but I’m sure I’ll get it in a Humble Monthly sometime so I will wait. Glad to hear it plays as good as it looks.

Didn’t some ex-CDP devs make this? Maybe I am misremembering. It looks super cool though, but with my backlog I am sticking it on wishlist and waiting on sale.

I had missed this thread, and never heard of this game. I had to get an achievement this week to complete a Game Pass quests by playing either Metro Exodus, State of Decay 2 or Ruiner on PC. Since I’d never heard of it and it had the smallest hard drive footprint of the three, I installed it this morning and played through the prologue.

Holy shit, I love this game so far. I had tried games like Crusader back in the day, and decided, hey, not every genre is for everyone, and this one is clearly not for me. But playing this kind of game with the gamepad really changes everything doesn’t it? Suddenly you’re not thinking about awkward controls and how to get your character to do something, you’re just doing it, and you’re more focused on the atmosphere and story and the action. This is very cool.