Rule of Rose

I didn’t notice any real control problems, but I’m used to survival-horror tanking.

I’m an RE: Outbreak master, man. I don’t even notice the controls anymore.

Wait, that’s a 7 out of 7-9. It’s the low end of mediocre!

I picked it up today, so far the game is ok. There really isn’t anything scary so far, combat though is pretty bad. For some reason the main character has a kick attack used on fallen enemies, but it’s not connecting whenever I use it. The boss fight I fought was pretty annoying thanks to his power to hit me without him having to face me or actually connect. If it wasn’t for the fact that the enemies are as poor shots as the main character, it would be impossible to get thru the fights.

So far puzzle wise, it’s pretty much fetch quests. Which are easy because the dog can find items related to what you need. The story is interesting and is so far the only thing keeping me playing.

So is there really anything in the game’s subject matter that justifies the uneasiness people were feeling when the game was being previewed? I remember an interview at Gamasutra or somewhere and the interviewer was giving one of the devs a hard time.

This game is the opposite for fun for me.

I hate the other nasty little kids. I hate the twisted evil grownups. I hate the vicious little monkey and rabbit things. I hate the orphanage. I hate the airship. I hate random scripted spawns from nowhere. I hate the way doors lock and unlock on the designer’s whim but for no other obvious reason, and already-searched places suddenly develop new items and features. I hate the terrible combat mode. I hate the text telling me what I’m looking at already.

And you know, I kind of liked the Silent Hill games. But the uncanny horror and eerie atmosphere of Silent Hill is in this game replaced by a sort of distasteful revulsion.

I suppose the dubious content is this: There is this girl, say 13 or 14, who is in this horrible situation. She does a lot of wriggling and moaning as she is frequently bound, knocked down, or otherwise placed in an unpleasant position. Sometimes the wriggling and moaning is a bit suggestive, but you’d have to be pretty twisted to be even slightly aroused. She is mostly just cowed and humiliated by events. Things try to eat her rather frequently, and often leap on her and either pin her down or grapple her and apparently start trying to devour her breasts. In general worthy of a M rating, but not interestingly so, just sort of wantonly unpleasant.

OK, the dog you can send around to do things and that will track items on scent is kind of cool. Pity it doesn’t have a less disgusting game to be a sidekick in. I played the first 3 “months” of this game, and that’s enough.

Evil fuckin’ devil children from hell to breakfast, but that’s about it.

It really wasn’t as prevelant as everyone was making it out to be. The controversy surrounding the game was blown way out of proportion IMO. I could maybe see what they are talking about in some of the cutscenes (the intro and second or third pop to mind) but not really enough to make Sony shuffle sideways with downcast eyes. Kudos to Atlus for snatching the rights, even though it wasn’t everything I expected it to be in the end.

Agree, unless your easily offended there really isn’t anything deeply disturbing , silent hill 2 makes this game look like an episode of full house. Also it’s just not scary, I’ve played at least 6-7 hours I think of it and not once did I even feel scared playing it. The music is pretty good, and sets the tone pretty well.

The combat really is bad, I just fought the 2nd boss last night, and about half of my attacks went thru her and missed, or she hit me while I was in the middle of my animation. The story is still the only thing good about this game, but I think I’m going to try taking it back today.

The children got on my nerves as well. They were more annoying then anything else, I even tried using the weapons on them, but nothing.

I just thought of some questions. Is there any way to tell which weapon is better? I’m just using the shovel I’ve found thanks to it’s range.

What the hell do ribbons, clothespins and marbles do? Also has anyone found any unlockables yet? I found a film can, but I really don’t want to replay the game to find anything.

Well I finshed the game, just had to check a gamefaqs to see how to get the good ending, so I’m going to do that before returning it hopefully.

Fair warning for anyone who’s playing it, the 2nd to last chapter is extremely combat focused.

Overall the game took me 9 hours(one hour of random wandering to figure out what’s going on). Honestily it’s not worth 50$ , at least I can say that the story was never predicitable. Also in the faqs I read what you have to do for the unlockables, and there is no way in hell I’m replaying the game for it.

edit: I also learned that listening to the same violin song for over a hour gives me a headache, I think it’s stuck in my head now.

I hate to say this after my last post, but the ending of the game is definitly the high point of the game, almost makes the game worth it. This game reminds me of killer 7, that at 50$ it’s abit pricy, but once it goes down it would be worth it to play. I have some huge spoiler questions that I couldn’t figure out from the final chapter of the game.

Major plot spoiler :

How did the children die for real? Was it from the zepplin crash, or from the man Wendy trained to kill? Also what is the point of the zepplin, and who was Clara?

There have been some recent horrible revelations about an Orphanage in Jersey. You can read about it here and here.

While there are no mentions of zeppelins, the whole thing resonates uneasily with my memories of playing through Rule of Rose.

(and no, not just the fairly terrible gameplay)