Rumblings at the Australian Open

World #3 Novak Djokovic beats Roger Federer in extremely convincing fashion, basically blowing him off the court in the second set and then holding on firmly in the 3rd.

This is the first time since January 2005 that Federer has failed to reach the final of a Grand Slam tournament.

The upset isn’t a huge surprise – Djokovic tested Federer at the US Open final in September, and Federer came into this AO playing slightly listless tennis (he had been sick prior to the tournament and had no match play). Still, it underscores the fact that Nadal is no longer the only rival to Fed’s game, and it suggests that the era of Fed’s total domination on everything but clay may be coming to an end.

But it’s only one loss and Fed is only 26. In my opinion he has plenty of time yet to outstrip Sampras’s haul of 14 majors. Will Fed ever again be in a position to contend for The Grand Slam (all 4 majors in the same year)? I doubt it, but time will tell.

It’s worth pausing to take a moment to reflect on what Fed achieved in the last couple of years. 10 straight Grand Slam finals. That is an absolutely mind boggling achievement and may well never be equaled in tennis history.

All things must pass. That said, I’m sure he’s got another 5-10 slams in him yet.

We’re seeing the same kind of thing on the women’s side as the strong young players start beating the Williams sister more often. I’m looking forward to tonight’s Sharapova/Ivanovic matchup. Good tennis and hawt babes too!