Running a motherboard outside the case?

Having some system build issues and I want to test a few items without having to rebuild the entire system three times.

I’ve seen the hardware sites run boards outside their cases, and I have two boards here with built-in power and reset switches.

Can I just place them on a nonconductive surface, hook up the power supply, and test the setup? Or do I need to do some kind of additional grounding, etc? (Since I believe the case screws typicallly ground the board.)

You can just lay them on any non-conductive surface without problem. Anytime I build a new system, I always run it outside the case on my desk for the OS install to make sure nothing goes toasty before it becomes a lot harder to get to for a swap out.

For extra geek credibility, attach the board to Styrofoam packing crates inserts and attach a little on/off switch to the desk.

Thanks, Countermeasure. got the system up and running “naked.”

I think the heat sink backplate had been shorting out the motherboard when it was all together.

For extra geek credibility you should cool the entire setup in a vat of oil.

If you want more geek credibility than a naked computer mounted on Styrofoam packing crates, you need to hire a hunchback with an Eastern European accent to assit you in the lab.

there’s some case/setup i saw in maximum pc that lets you swap/upgrade stuff easily. can’t recall the name for the life of me.

The HSPC tech station? They work pretty good, I keep one at home to proof/pre-config initial builds and for troubleshooting systems that are real bastards. Takes a lot of the pain out of zeroing in on any trouble components.

The HSPC tech station? They work pretty good, I keep one at home to proof/pre-config initial builds and for troubleshooting systems that are real bastards. Takes a lot of the pain out of zeroing in on any trouble components.

right. i just found it before going back to post then you had beaten me to it.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Tech%20Work%20Station/