Rush, Boom, Turtle: How Console RTS players already missed their Halo

Is this still about RTSs on consoles? I think I got lost somewhere in this thread…

The RTS’s are busy steaming up the Ucayali as we speak.

I saw parts of Fitzarealdo. Not a fan.

Sacrifice had a pretty cool setting, but apart from the graphics, the presentation and some of the gimmicks (collecting units and faction alliances), it was utter garbage.

Specifically, the game mechanics were crap. As you know, there are only a limited number of souls per map. The first person who attacks loses. Period. The defender sweeps up the souls and the attacker no longer has any souls with which to defend himself from a counter attack.

That’s the game right there, boiled down into a single paragraph.

i can’t see why people WANT to play RTS games on a console. There is a certain disconnect inherent to the ‘god’ perpective of these games that just doesn’t play to the visceral imersion that a 50" tv, 5.1 sound and a console are all about.

a usb keyboard

Hardly a $90 peripheral. I’ve got stacks of them.

That’s Sol Invictus right there, boiled down into three paragraphs.

Holy shit, I want a game that gives me a god perspective that takes advantage of all that stuff. I WILL SMITE THE HEATHENS WITH MY WRATH, which would be way the heck more wrathful in 60" HD with a subwoofer.

True, I guess i can see the appeal of smoting in HD with surround. I guess for me micro managing on my console setup (tried C&C3) is just not nearly as satisfying as knifing a guy in the back of the neck in CoD4. On PC i feel the opposite, where shooters and what not just are not hat fun, but i love a good RTs or some sim city.

On PC i feel the opposite, where shooters and what not just are not hat fun,
How do you even aim on a console FPS? It just isn’t as fluid as a using a mouse and keyboard.

You point in the general direction and let the autoaim do the rest. Which sounds bad, but I’m a believer after CoD4

I’m not very optimistic about console RTS, however

I feel like trying to move with a keyboard is just awkward. And aming with the mouse doesn’t feel like aiming, it feels like pointing and clicking. In a way i feel like the lack of absolute precision makes the game that much more exciting.

That’s why I play racing games and fighting games on my PC with just the keyboard… er, not really… Bleh! Use the right tool for the damn job people.

Um…That’s exactly why i use a console…

Yes indeed, not being able to hit things (especially the precision targets the game rewards you for hitting) indeed makes for excitement. Not the right kind of excitement, for me. But, you know, excitement.

Mind you, I’ve gotten better at aiming in console FPSes. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth kinda forced me to. (At least until the PC port came out.)

Well ya got me there, chief. The console certainly is the right tool for playing first person shooters with marginal aiming ability and slow-as-molasses game-play.

well i guess i think there is some middle ground between not being able to hit a damn thing and the absolute precision of a mouse, for me that’s what console controls pull off nicely.

But aiming with the sticks does take a bit of practice, definately mess around with sensitivity settings.

Guess it all just boils down to personal preference.

Not when someone prefers Toyota to Lexus. ;)

I think I’d most like to play RTS games on a large touch-screen. Large enough that you can see a decent amount and not obscure your units with your finger or stylus.

Even more awesome? Horizontally mounted, like a table-top board game would be, for a real top-down experience.

More awesome still? Polarised or shutter-based stereoscopic glasses, so those units “stand up” on the screen. That might get a little disorienting when you “poke” your finger through them, but just imagine the awesomeness…