Russian "Tunnel of Death"

Scientologists to the rescue!

I don’t think I’d stop in this particular tunnel. Seems like a reasonable chance any good Samaritans could then get hit by an out of control gasoline tanker.

A friend of mine used to tell how they did that all the time back in India, but I never believed it. People there must be friggen nuts.

Awesome video, but the ads on that site look NSFW to me.

I love that video!
When I was in St. Petersburg, I was about 10 minutes out of Pulkovo Airport when I saw an amazing car crash about three or four car lengths in front of me. The cars were screwed and out of the back seat of one of the vehicles, a lady popped out of the backseat with a bay in her arms. I thought to myself at the time “Huh, well aren’t I in Russia” and then spent the rest of the trip being very cautious when cars were about. That said, I love that city, definitely one of the best places on Earth. Just don’t ever drive there.

Oh and Ladas rule.

I don’t want to sound too harsh. I’m not suggesting that all 20,000 cars must stop until the full hour when the police come and pull out the bodies. If it is a minor accident fender bender, I agree that you also do not sit there for 20 minutes and block traffic.

But this guy saw a pretty major accident and barely slowed down. It was literally a few seconds before the blinker went on, and he was actually swerving over in front of other traffic himself to make sure he wouldn’t be blocked from going around. It had far less of a, “Move along,” look, and much more of a, “Fuck everyone else, I’m not getting stuck here for a second,” look.

But what do I know, maybe he was trying to get out of the way so that police and rescue could actually get to the cars. Never can be certain of someone’s motivation in a case like that.

Well I don’t think that particular excuse has ever entered my mind :)

— Alan

“I wasn’t driving recklessly, I was getting out of the way at 140kmph.”

Sadly, there are people who think this is the proper action to take when they see flashing lights.

Who else reads the title “Russian Tunnel of Death” as being set to the tune of Alice Cooper’s “Muscle of Love”?

SUVs for awhile were poorly made. It had something to do with the height of the vehicle (tires to base) and the width of the vehicle. Anyway, there was a big lawsuit associated with it, where it took only a speed of 30 miles an hour and you could topple over when turning. Engineers recommended that it be fixed, but instead of going back and fixing it, they just left it as is to reduce cost.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was one of those SUVs.

Going to Baker is always fun. Steep drop offs and morons in SUV’s slipping down 70 degree inclines.