Safe mode boot on a machine from ABS?

I’ve posted this in a couple of places including the ABS forums, but so far no answer, so I figured I’d try here:

I have an ABS desktop system (www.abspc.com from a little over a year ago (AMD XP64 3500+, Asus A8NE, 1 GB 3200 RAM, since bumped to 2 GB, Win XP SP 2)–I can’t remember the exact model name. Anyway, I’m wondering, if the need should arise, how to boot into safe mode. I tried just hitting F8 as usual, but it doesn’t take me to the normal Windows boot options screen (with Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking as options)–it takes me to some other type of screen–it’s been a while so I don’t remember a lot of details, but it’s definitely not the normal boot options screen. Is there some special trick to it on ABS machines? I can of course get into the BIOS just fine, but Safe Mode eludes me.

On some BIOSes, pressing F8 during boot takes you to a menu where you can select the boot device. If that’s what you’re seeing, just select the hard drive, hit enter, and mash F8 again for the Windows safe mode menu.

Or Run MSCONFIG and select safe start from there. Then restart your PC.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I should have thought of the msconfig thing myself, doh!