Saints Row - Rebooted!

I don’t know if I am following the trailer correctly, but is this a fixed main character? As in I don’t get to create my own boss?

They mentioned you customize and create your own character.

That’s good. I wouldn’t say that was a deal breaker per se, but it’s probably a bigger deal to me than no Gat et al (which is a very big deal to me).

Rebooting after SR IV is disappointing.

With the way SR IV ended, there’s still plenty of avenues to connect the new one. But also, where were you going to escalate from there? You’ve already got superpowers, aliens, and time travel…

Metaverses and multiverses are all the rage.

Awful lot of attractive people in that pre-rendered trailer.

This definitely doesn’t take place in Tamriel.

Time travel shenanigans to back before Gat dies, saving Gat, reboot that way. but now you also wind up with all these trapped people who are now in your time. Main part of the game is boss taking long walks with Jane Austen.

I would have killed for that.

I mean, we don’t know that won’t happen…

Man, so generically “attractive.”

https://youtu.be/iDr4l1DdRCU

1. That is not a trailer, I don’t know why they call it that.

2. The marketing speak from the various devs in this is cringey and a misfire, from a marketing perspective. Apparently this is the first Saints Row game that is finally injecting some much needed heart into the franchise. Uh. . .

3. They are sort of pushing what’s her face as the face of the reboot/the boss/etc, but we can customize our character (they briefly show that off), and this all combines to make a sort of weird goulash of marketing.

4. If I was being extremely cynical, I would say the southwest setting is so they don’t have to make a huge city/lots of buildings/etc, and/or is a lame attempt to just sort of copy GTA V (having a hybrid setting, as it were)/RDR2.

I hope it is good, and I think that SR4 was a good ending to that story.

This new stuff has me skeptical, but the talk of zip lines and wingsuits is promising

Most players just go with whatever the default is, as illustrated by the Mass Effect stats where I think something like 70% of people just go with Default Male Shepard.

I spent over an hour making the character in SR2 look almost exactly like myself and then gave him that outrageous cockney accent.

There needs to be an industry wide ban on devs/PR folks using the word “badass” to describe things.

Looks like they realized that the CGI movie didn’t sell as well as they wanted. Seemed like the sort of thing one might release when they know the IP is both valuable and embarrassing and they want to make it clear this is a fresh take.

Here’s a deeper dive into the new Saints Row • Eurogamer.net

Look 4 posts above yours

No link to the Eurogamer article, did I miss something?

It’s an article about the video 4 posts above yours. The same 7:21 one being discussed as full of cringe and “badass” dev talk.

The Eurogamer article is about the *same *YouTube video. Eurogamer does not have access to anything exclusive. If you had started the YouTube embed you could tell. (Not ragging on you, just pointing out the Eurogamer wrapper around it is redundant)

Hm, I must not be able to see the link. All I see is an embedded youtube video. I thought it was interesting that the Eurogamer article that Rock8 linked was followed up so soon with a follow-up article noting that it “did not land perfectly for some fans of the franchise.”

I’ll admit I was one of those folks. Been playing since the 360 original, and it didn’t give me any feeling that the same elements that I enjoyed in the original were going to be in the reboot. Instead, it felt like a trailer that could have had any other name on it.