Salon: Obama to Go Where No Geek Has Gone Before

So a quick geek cultural check for Obama:

–Technology. Click that icon. He’s the candidate who tried to announce his vice presidential pick by text message and embraced Facebook as a campaign tool. He’s seldom seen without a BlackBerry and talks of a chief technology officer for the nation.

–Comic books. As a youngster, Obama collected Spider-Man and Conan the Barbarian comic books. His Senate Web site used to have a photo of him posing in front of a Superman statue, and in October at New York’s Alfred Smith dinner he joked: “I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father Jor-El to save the planet Earth.” Jor-El was the father of Superman, born on the planet Krypton.

–“Star Trek,” the long-running TV show. According to the actor Leonard Nimoy, who played Mr. Spock in the series, Obama flashed him the split four-fingered Vulcan salute when the two crossed paths last year. In May in Des Moines, Newsweek caught Obama teasing wife Michelle about her belt buckle, saying it was studded with Star Trek-powering dilithium crystals and adding, “Beam me up, Scotty!” As he laughed at his own joke, Michelle Obama rolled her eyes, as geek wives often do.

Yes, geeks have wives. That’s one of the things that separates them from nerds and dorks.

“A geek is someone who has the knowledge of the geeky type stuff and has social graces,” Blum said. “A nerd is someone who has the knowledge but not the social graces and a dork is someone who has neither.”

http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/2008/12/24/D9595LI00_obama_geek_in_chief/index.html

Good explanation of geeks, nerds and dorks.

They got geek and nerd backwards. It was Revenge of the Nerds where the hapless clumsy smart men overcame their circumstances and became both sexually and fraternity decathalon-ally successful human beings. I will brook no argument; Salon is all dorks.

I thought geeks bit the heads off chickens at the circus.

So how many n00bs has he pwn3d?

Wouldn’t you just love to read the headline, “PUT1N PWN3D!!11!”?

What a worthwhile thread.

Re: Cabinet picks. No n00bs.

Well it gives us a chance to debate whether we would rather have Captain Kirk or Captain Picard as president.

I thought so too.

God, I know. This thread is going to ruin the high-minded tone of P&R.

Pendejos, where are the cookies?