Salt and Sanctuary or Sacrifice

The bronze knights are like the black knights in Dark Souls, they wont respawn when killed in the early levels.

git gud :)

It takes a while before you adjust to a 2D system (as opposed to 3d that’s used in Dark Souls). I’ve beaten souls games many many times (quite a few runs were with shit tier weapons and no shield, or a parry only run) and I got my ass kicked when I first started playing S&S. After a while it just clicked though.

Wow, some of these bosses are difficult. I agree that this feels very much like a Souls game in spirit, but it isn’t grabbing me like a Souls game does. While the exploration feels like a Souls game - finding locked doors that you can open up to provide short cuts once you make it far enough around to unlock them, the 2D just doesn’t inspire the Wow that DS does.

I beat The Sodden Knight and the Queen of Smiles within a couple tries or so each, but the Alchemist is a bastard. The Cyclops doesn’t seem like it will be crazy hard, but if may take several tries.

Not sure how much I’ll continue. It just doesn’t feel as intuitive as DS or as satisfying. I think it may be one of those games I can appreciate for what it does and how it captured the essence of DS, but I don’t think I’ll enjoy it long term. I’ve played it for 3 hours.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/24/brutal-action-rpg-salt-and-sanctuary-hits-ps-vita-on-march-28

Just a little over a year. Not bad for an indie. It sounds like they outsourced the whole thing to a guy that specializes in porting XNA to other platforms or something

I felt the same way. I also probably won’t go back to this either. Another game out of the backlog, yay!

it is off again on Steam, 75% … just when I bought it fullprice for my PS4 yesterday.

Why did I wait so long? Really nailed the souls formula in 2D.
4 years ago the last post? Time is flying …

Salt and Sanctuary: James Silva played Dark Souls.

Salt and Sacrifice: James Silva played Monster Hunter.

What is up with the gear they are using? You are supposed to go through the game almost entirely naked, wearing nothing but a pumpkin on your head and a giant claymore in your hand.

Seems like more Salt and Sanctuary to me. Thanks for sharing, I had no idea this was in the works, and it looks pretty cool.

EDIT: nvm, that completely went over my head at first.

PlayStation and Epic in early 2022.

Secure that bag, James! Might be the first game I buy on the Epic store.

May 10th

Oh, I liked this game a lot but got stuck on a dragon and that was it :(

That dragon was rough! Eventually got it switched to a heavy sword of sorts and did a lot of jumping if I remember correctly. It’s strange how much I liked that weird ass game. I mean it’s kinda funny looking but still evocative and fun, even with the platforming and jumping.

I was done in by the witch of the lake, and a few terrible insta-deaths. Loved the game before then, and I’m not inherently a “souls” player, but thought this game was super fun.

I’m really looking forward to the sequel, and maybe playing it co-op with a friend so I can show off just how terribly my old man hands are.

Those are some tough ones. The Witch of the Lake definitely earns her nickname.

I played the beta for a few hours tonight.

The positives:

• Same tight moment-to-moment gameplay
  • Multiplayer is smooth and there are a lot of different ways to join a player, including some quasi-adversarial and questionable modes that leave you guessing. It’s a nice change from Elden Ring, which has really limited multiplayer options. I co-oped with the developer and it was an absolute blast. We took down a few bosses and killed off an invader.

Some concerns:

• Part of my brain wants to treat this like a Dark Souls game but there’s a lot of Monster Hunter here as I suspected. The levels aren’t quite as custom and interesting as the first game because they also need to double as makeshift boss arenas. The weird thing is once you chase the boss to its final destination, it turns into a regular Souls boss fight (with the boss’s max health set based on how much damage you did while you chased it). If you die, the boss’s health resets to that maximum. The only problem (at the moment!) is health potions are all based on finding craftable items, so you can’t keep throwing yourself at the boss indefinitely. I talked to the developers about this. They’re still trying to figure out the balance. Nothing is set in stone yet.
  • Speaking of balancing, it’s pretty hard and the game throws some difficult tactical situations at you pretty quickly. Enemies with shields, flying enemies, ranged attacks, large enemies that can’t be hitstun reliably. Everything is really fast and strong in general. The first boss has a rough area of effect attack that also does damage over time. It took me a while to crack it.
  • There are a few other things that people might freak out about, like losing 20% of your max health when you die until you use a consumable, the giant skill tree is back, etc.

It’s all moving in the right direction, but it’s clear this isn’t a straight sequel that’s more of the same. Players will need to be ready for that.

Oof- that part sounds like regression to me, farming health pots wasn’t fun in Bloodborne nor Demons Souls, can’t see why it would work here.

Thanks for the update! Really clicked with the first one, best 2D soulslike (if that’s what we’re calling them) for me.

If you’ve played Elden Ring and looked at build guides at all you’ll be familiar with this guy’s voice.