Sam and Max Hit the Wii

Hopefully you are right but I think that would be the one thing at this point that would stop this.

Not to keep hammering on this, but why would you buy a Wii for Sam & Max when you presumably have a PC today that will play the game? (It’ll probably have modest system requirements.)

You’ll also be able to download it, and it’s episodic so they’re supposed to deliver more downloadable episodes; presumably, this Wii version would be either a compilation down the road, or a very short single game.

1. Because some people want to support the developers and the prospect of more games, as in adventure games on consoles. The same way people who are intending to buy the Japanese version of the second DS Phoenix Wright port, are also willing to buy the US version to support Phoenix Wright and adventure games in the US?

2. Because people are curious about how it might work out with the Wii controller? And in general some people find being able to sit on a couch and look at a TV relaxing as compared to PC play?

3. Because it is possible that a Wii Sam & Max might have an enhancement here and there to make it worthwhile as compared to the PC version?

As for console adventure games, there’s gazillions of them and they generally work with menu-based systems that allow you to choose from scenery in the picture. They’re also generally first person and really focus on dialogue above all else compared to Western adventure games. Also, the reason they’re still alive is because they never stopped advancing. :P Oooh, burn.

-Kitsune

That seems to be a one-way street, as no one seems to feel any compulsion to support PC game developers buy purchasing PC games. Or maybe everyone will buy the PC version and then the Wii one.

And in general some people find being able to sit on a couch and look at a TV relaxing as compared to PC play?

I’m sure that’s true. It’ll be curious to see if requiring a lot of motion to play a game with the Wii is as relaxing.

1. Because it is possible that a Wii Sam & Max might have an enhancement here and there to make it worthwhile as compared to the PC version?

Sure, but it sounds like they’re talking about a straight port and some of the above comments are basically describing how the Wii-mote would be a good substitute for a mouse in a point-and-click adventure.

Anyway, I’d think spending more money developing a totally unique Wii version with enhancements would be riskier, seeing as how it’s a PC franchise as opposed to a console one. Are Nintendo fans Sam & Max fans? I have no idea, but I doubt it has much awareness outside of older PC gamers.

Not everyone owns a PC.

He was specifically asking Quenan, I think. I’ll buy it, if it’s good, for the PC because I think PC game development is honestly a great thing, and I’m mostly a handheld/console gamer. Also, digital distribution is great too - another good reason. I’ll consider buying it again for the Wii (again, if it’s good) because I’m nutty like that. My question is, an it’s rehetorical: Why does anybody buy any games? When you buy something other than basic survival necessities, you are making a sorta political statement or a statement about yourself as much as it’s for your own direct gratification. You can always just rent, y’know? I don’t rent, btw - I see that as a form of legalised piracy in a lot of cases.

Then he’ll get treble the value, Kitsune, Quenan and myself.

And no one owns a Wii. I’m not sure why that’s relevant.

Anyway, I was specifically referring to people posting in this thread, most of whom probably have decent gaming PCs. In fact, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that almost everyone posting in this thead owns a PC of some sorts, unless they’re all posting from their PSPs. Also, unless they were fans of the comic. a large percentage of people that know Sam & Max presumably owned a PC at some point, and probably still do.

And based on Bone, I’m guessing that Sam & Max will have modest system requirements, so I think it’ll run on most PCs and not require a $250 upgrade (i.e. the price of a Wii). And it’ll probably run at higher resolutions on a PC, even on those modest systems, certainly beyond 480p (640x480).

I would assume that at some point people will own a Wii in order to be able to play the Sam & Max Wii version.

My comment actually more reflects my situation, I don’t own a PC, I use the internet at work and have to check email here too. I don’t actually forsee owning a PC for a while to come yet as I simply couldn’t fit it into my flat. I have never played Sam & Max and would be interested in seeing what it is like, the Wii may then be my only option. I am fully prepared to concede that I am not representative of any significant part of the gamer demographic but I would be willing to bet that I am not the only one in the same boat.

You asked why people would buy a Wii to play Sam & Max and I think that is one possible reason.

I hope Nintendo isn’t banking on a port of new version of a 10-year old PC game being a system seller.

If all you owned was a Wii, sure… I’d understand why you’d want to check this out. But it’s just odd to see people here who own perfectly functional PCs that will easily play Sam & Max getting excited over the prospect of a Wii version. As a PC gamer, it’s sort of depressing (as depressing as people drooling over XBLA versions of games that have been available for the PC for years; Wow, Zuma! In HD!)

Will they just pass over the PC version, further pushing that platform into decline? I hope not.

as far why people buy a console game vs the same game on pc, sometimes its just easier and more fun to be able to have your friends/family on the couch playing/watching the game with you in the living room than in a study or bedroom where most people have their computers.

I can’t imagine they are but, for someone like me (and I am sure I’m not totally alone in this) there are those for whom it is actually attractive to be able to play games that they missed out on in their first iteration. Not a system seller for me, but certainly a factor that pushes me to consider it strongly, especially as I find PC gaming to be somewhat daunting!

Clearly they are. The new Legend of Zelda, Mario, WarioWare, Smash Bros, Metroid, etc games are just filler until Sam and Max ships.

Thats a good point and could be more fitting for a game like Sam and Max

Because

1. I have an HDTV
  2. I find that I prefer playing games sitting on the couch, using the HDTV

I’ve mostly stopped buying PC games.