Samba De Amiga for Wii - YES!

Dreams can come true!

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (October 25 2007) - SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. are excited to announce that they are bringing back Samba De Amigo™, the Dreamcast classic that helped to create the now-popular rhythm music genre. Created exclusively for the Wii home video game system, this vibrant and addictive new game lets players shake to the beats of a samba-infused soundtrack comprised of popular new songs as well as fan-favorites from the original game.

Playing as the grinning, sombrero-topped monkey, Amigo, players shake the Wii Remote and Nunchuk like maracas, in time with the visual beats of the music on-screen. The perfect party game, Samba De Amigo is packed with lively stages and a host of colorful characters. More details about this exciting new title including a full song listing as well as new special features will be revealed over the next few months.

“The Wii’s controllers enable players to enjoy Samba De Amigo’s unique gameplay without having to purchase an expensive peripheral,” said Rick Naylor, Director of Marketing at SEGA. “Between the music, the quirky art style, and the maraca-shaking players, Samba De Amigo is as much fun to watch as it is to play.”

Developed by acclaimed developer, Gearbox Software, Samba De Amigo will be exclusively available for the Wii in spring 2008.

Awesome.

What was the deal with that Samba De Amigo song. Was that a real song that just used for the game, or vice versa or what?

Here’s hoping for some clip-on maraca shell accessories…

Now that is a match made in heaven.

Brothers in Gourds - Conga Line to Hill 30
Brothers in Gourds - Earned in Pesos

I still drag out the Dreamcast and maracas for some Samba De Amigo for some parties and family gatherings.

I still think this will be gimped by the nature of the Wii controls.

The SdA controllers used a triangulating positional sensor to tell where in space the maracas were. The Wii controller doesn’t provide any positional data except for the IR, which must be pointed directly at the sensor/TV (and even then it’s not really positional data as much as a pointer). Not good for shaking a maraca and the game knowing where it is.

Wii Shake = you betcha
Wii Position = must be inferred by motion sensors

I’ll be very interested to see how they solve the issues.

They’ll probably just remove the positional aspect and replace it with something else. Probably twisting since the Wii does that well.

Which is fine with me. That sensor bar for the maracas was only 90% accurate on a good day.

Impressions? After reading reviews, it sounds like this is a lot of more of the same, but that is probably not a bad thing. Do the controls make this a no buy?

Gary, your wish came true.

I never played the original, but this just arrived from Gamefly yesterday, and it’s great.

+multiplayer is ridiculous
+this is the first real exercise game for the Wii. There may be a more efficient, crappy way of playing this, but flailing through a few levels is exhausting.
+The music is catastrophically bad for the most part and therefore perfect.
+first use of miis in a game I care to play
+controls work well 95% of the time, probably more if I’d done the training first instead of rushing into multiplayer.
+Plenty of good songs unlocked right off the bat.
+Dance moves are hilarious.
+DLC? Fuck yeah. It’s not like I have much to fill up the drive.

-You can only unlock songs in single player career mode. It looks like it should allow you to play career with 2p, but that seems to be a complete tease.
-Not clear on what happens or if I will be required to unlock songs on Hard when normal tiers run out…I’m not close to unlocking all of the songs, and I’m on the last tier of normal.
-Controls can be really unforgiving for things that should be trivial. Two biggest offenders are up and to the right, and the two maracas to the rigth side (regardless of whether I use two wiimotes or nunchuk/wiimote)/ Conversely, I sometimes get cut slack for some of the most uncoordinated flailing.
-Minigames are mostly terrible.

So, yeah, I’m probably going to hang on to this one for a while. I’m sure DDR fanatics will be upset with the absence of precision etc, but they have plenty of dance mat games to amuse them. This is more for the Gitaroo Man person.

Another game that could have benefitted from the motion plus. Thanks, Ninty, for throwing your developers under the bus!

Don’t buy this if you want to recreate that wonderful Dreamcast feeling. The Wiimotes just can’t handle the precision needed, and while that doesn’t matter on the first two levels which are incredibly easy, hard will become an unfun chore from the beginning. It also seems to be made for rhythmless people, because it mostly doesn’t matter if you shake to the beat or not.
On the plus side, the dance moves are hilarious and maybe the most embarrassing thing to grace the Wii until now. Great for parties, surely, and children. But man, the DC version was so much better.

Jesus Christ, you weren’t kidding. First tier on hard, and we’re throwing in the towel. Different motions just don’t register sometimes, period, and in a game that grades you based on how you are doing moment to moment (you can get 90% and an E on a song if you fuck up the ending), that is fucking bullshit. After playing rhythm games that reward practice, this level of inaccuracy is unacceptable.

Also, I would like to add that making Hard, tiered career play a requirement for unlocking a fourth of your songs (well, at least of the “good” songs) was a huge mistake. Oh well. It was a good rental.

You know, this is why you don’t hand off this type of game to a western developer. I doubt the original game’s creators would have let it ship in this state, because DUH control is the game.

I pretty much wrote this game off when they announced there were no custom controllers for it. Looks like I made the right choice!

I’ve heard that it doesn’t actually matter where the Wiimote maracas actually are as long as they’re rotated the right way. (30/90/150 degrees from straight up in either direction)

Confirm/deny?

True, at least for the basic shakes. You have to move them for the dancing stuff.

aw, i wanted this to be good.

In fact it’s kind of mandatory to “cheat” with positioning if you’re playing with the maraca shells, since the tether between the nunchuk and wiimote prevents you from moving your arms to the real positions :(