Same Sex Marriage: Not just for gays and lesbians

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/National/2005/08/07/1162543-sun.html

Summary: two men in Toronto have decided to marry one another. The catch is that they’re both heterosexual and are marrying to take advantage of the tax benefits.

Holy shit a marriage of convenience! Somebody go fetch Anna Nicole Smith.

I hope they both got pre-nups.

Could be they’re actually doing it for their fifteen minutes of fame.

I think that more exposes the stupidity of tax breaks for the married than same sex marriages. If they want to encourage children give tax breaks to those who have them.

The irony is that in the USA you get a tax penalty, and it’s one of the main reasons why my wife and I are not yet technically married.

Well Rimbo you better keep your fiance away from H&R block because the Bush tax cuts eliminated the penalty. Besides the fact that that it’s one of the lamest excuses I have ever heard it isn’t even valid now.

Well Rimbo you better keep your fiance away from H&R block because the Bush tax cuts eliminated the penalty. Besides the fact that that it’s one of the lamest excuses I have ever heard it isn’t even valid now.[/quote]

It wasn’t eliminated, it was put on pause. I believe the current legislation cuts the penalty until 2011. After 2011, it comes back full force.

Also, marriage is dumb!

Well Rimbo you better keep your fiance away from H&R block because the Bush tax cuts eliminated the penalty. Besides the fact that that it’s one of the lamest excuses I have ever heard it isn’t even valid now.[/quote]

She’s my wife, it’s spelled “fiancée,” and if you will actually put the numbers in a spreadsheet and compare them based on 2004 tax law (which we did) you’ll see that the Bush tax cuts did not eliminate the penalty for couples where both individuals hold jobs unless each one makes the exact same amount as the other, and even then, there is still a very slight penalty.

We saved thousands of dollars on our taxes by not being legally married this year.

You can flame me all ya want, but I’ll be burning all the way to the bank, because we did the numbers, we looked at the reality of the tax law, and we got the accountants to sign off on it. The difference, for us, was something like $2k-$3k between being married and not married.

Love in the modern age.

marriage <> love. there are plenty of people married but not in love or in love but not married. i think it is smart to to approach the situation rationally. you could certainly come up with some rational reason to get married that might counterbalance getting screwed by taxes. kids or something, perhaps.

but it is retarded to say that two people aren’t in love because they don’t get married due to our retarded tax laws.

plus, marriage is scary.

Despite what many people would have you believe, that piece of paper you sign is a contract. How romantic!

Despite what many people would have you believe, that piece of paper you sign is a contract. How romantic![/quote]

And it’s mostly a contract that says: OK, if we decide we don’t like each other any more, we agree to a certain amount of legal arbitration over who owns what.

I like the fact that my wife and I don’t have to sign anything to know that we’re going to be with each other until one of us finally snaps and grabs one of the large kitchen knives and plows it deep into the other’s still-blabbing skull. Now that is romantic. [size=2]sorta.[/size]