Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - Fire! Fire! Fire!

We went with LG. Great fridge, though it is a tad aggressive in the beeping when you leave the doors open.

BTW, we found out for the first time the other day that there is actually a brand of appliances called Smeg. Maybe it’s a generational thing, or maybe my mind is always in the gutter (nice place, the gutter; certainly nicer than this year’s presidential campaign), but, eeewww…

What Red Dwarf fan wouldn’t want one of these?

I was at a Best Buy yesterday looking at TVs. I noted that the displays that used a black or dark gray background looked better. I pointed this out to the worker that was chatting with us. I said that the Samsung display was really bright white and washed out the TV screen colors.

Best Buy Guy: Well that’s Samsung. They always have to be the brightest.
Me: Well they certainly are the brightest when the batteries explode.
BBG: ::silence::
Wife: ::angry stare::

That article is pretty useless. They failed to point out it was only a select few top-loading washing machines, and also provided a picture focused on a front-loading one. I had to click through to the original Samsung press release to find this out. What’s the point in re-writing a press release to appear as “news” if you’re not even going to bother to do it correctly?

My parents bought a Samsung washing machine a couple of years ago which developed this problem. When it reached the spin cycle, it would get horribly out of balance and stop or reset the cycle. Replacing the suspension support rods fixed it. It was a known issue at the time, at least on some of the repair websites. I had to help them diagnose the problem and fix it though, as the repairman they called out was clueless.

Anyone here remember going to a laundromat and having to use an ‘extractor’ after the wash cycle? The washing machines had a weak or nonexistent spin cycle. So when the washer was done, you put your wet laundry into a separate spin cycle device. The deal was that you saved a towel for last. Jammed tub full of laundry and then covered it with the towel, tucking it under the lip of the basket. The ones that I remember didn’t have covers, for whatever reason. The damn thing spun so fast that it sounded like a jet engine. And you had better believe that you didn’t get your hands in there.

I mention this because I could imagine one of those exploding and killing everyone in the building.

That’s all true. I just posted it because I find it amusing that it’s not just the Galaxy Note 7 that catches on fire. AFAIK the washing machines in question were actually recalled years ago, and the ones still catching on fire are the ones where the owners apparently couldn’t be bothered to exchange them.

I totally remember those! When I was a kid, my mother would sometimes take me to the local laundromat. Those things sounded like a jet engine revving up.

I had one of the exploding Samsung washing machines, and also got the infamous plastic bag fix. What you won’t hear is that it really was a fantastic washing machine other than the small chance of it exploding. We liked it more than the LG one we recently got as a replacement from the refund money (that the retailer gave us, not Samsung who wanted to do a second repair).

That’s what everyone said about the Note 7 too. Amazing phone, shame about the burning holes in aircraft thing.

Yeah, flying this week to and from SFO for VRDC and the announcements about “No Samsung Note 7s!” are repeated ad nauseum. Though I have my doubts as to the efficacy of the warnings issued on the plane after the doors are shut and we’re taxiing. What are they gonna do, chuck it out the window?

Nope, put it in a fire-proof bag.

Well, look at that! Thanks, that’s really interesting. I had no idea. Though I guess the junior aircrew get the job of scooping up the flaming phones.

Yeah. They’re not counting on anyone to follow the new rules. The TSA people are clueless. You can’t scrutinize every person’s phone choice. The delay would shut down every airport. So the decision has to be, triage. If a phone starts acting up tongs and a fireproof bag. What a world we live in today. At least people can’t bring their washing machines on to the plane. :)

When I flew from Jamaica to Haiti in 1984, there were live chickens on the plane. So, a washing machine ain’t too far off.

No. This is not true. My top loading Samsung washer was just added to the list in this most recent warning. I checked a couple of days ago and it’s serial number was marked as safe. Now it’s recalled. Debating getting the repair vs taking the $455 they are offering me if I get a Samsung replacement. I lose $150 if I go with another brand.

I thought it was just one line, a few years back. What the hell is going on with Samsung?

Yeah, but that’s because the washing machines in Australia spin in the opposite direction, which they aren’t designed to do.

I see your exploding notes and raise you exploding washers:

I’m affected by this one =( I don’t use Android phones or tablets but my washer, dryer and smart fridge are all Samsung. =(

Thanks, but this thread has already been discussing this.

I checked; no surprise, my parents’ washer is on the list. It’s already been fixed, so maybe they can recoup the repair costs.