Samsung Tablet?

Does the Tab have a front facing camera?

If so, then you should be able to just use the existing video conferencing apps on it.

Can you expand a bit on your assessment of the Tab’s web browsing capabilities. I’m a bit worried that the text will be much too small, sometimes text is already too small for me on iPad, and I end up zooming to the point where I have to scroll back and forth horizontally, which is a PITA. (But I suspect my reading eyesight is particularly low on the scale and I’m starting to hit the age where I really should get reading glasses, but don’t want to.)

Sounds like you find Tab web browsing pretty doable?

Yes, Samsung Tablet includes both front and back cameras.

It’s very doable. Using the iPad horizontally, I can frequently just read a web page as is, the entire width can fit on screen. That often doesn’t work on the Tab. Of course, you simply double tap a column of text to zoom in on it, as you can also do on the iPad, and it’s no problem. Most decent web sites also wrap their column text to fit your browser width, so by and large it works fine. Flash is supported which is great, but can slow page scrolling and resizing quite a bit. I typically disable Flash unless I have a specific need for it.

Thanks mono. I’ll pass that on.

That seems odd since the Tab and the iPad have the same horizontal resolution when used horizontally. Maybe its a dpi thing.

Actually, and I see I was unclear, but the screen is often just too physically small for me to read a full page horizontally. But that depends upon the site layout. Yeah, the page can fit, but not at a display size that works well for me.

A coworker who proclaimed that the iPad was revolutionary when it was announced got a Samsung Galaxy Tab when he was in Hong Kong with his girlfriend. I harassed him about it but he said that the Tab is much easier to hold in one-hand and thus a better for e-books.

I can really see this. I’ve read a bit on the iPad and it’s fine for reading, but you either have to lean it against something or use two hands. I’ve also read on a Nook color and it’s easy to hold in one hand. It does make for an easier reading experience.

I can see that. The Kindle is a much nicer size and weight for reading, and it sounds like the Samsung is much more Kindle size. My issues with the Kindle are the slow speed of page turns when trying to scan back more than a page or two (on the iPad, I tap rapidly and can go quickly back 10 or more pages) and the fact that the Kindle text looks a bit pixelated. Both issues should be taken care of on the Samsung.