San Francisco: Places to see in 2 full days?

Same with vagitarian.

It does make it really restrictive here in Kansas City. Especially since these two don’t like eggs, they don’t like salads, they don’t like anything that might hint of smelling like fish. Plus Kansas City doesn’t have many places with good vegetarian options. It sounds like San Francisco is better in that regard. At the very least I can enjoy the food there, even if they won’t. I love salads, eggs, cereals, fish, and a whole bunch of stuff that they don’t.

Dude, it’s fricking California

You can google for vegetarian restaurants in SF. There are folks that spend quality time putting together blogs or articles or entire websites devoted to tracking the best vegetarian/vegan food around the world. San Francisco has tons of both, and I encourage you to be adventurous! Try a raw vegan place, or go out for awesome Thai, or hit up a vegetarian burger joint. There’s a sorbet place in Berkeley/Oakland called Scream that’s effin amazing.

THREAD NECRO - I’ll be in San Francisco for GDC in March. I was there briefly years ago for a presser, but didn’t have a chance to see the city. I probably won’t have much time on this trip, either, but what I am looking for are recommendations for decent places to eat. I’m meeting up with some external partners who are decidedly not local, and would like to make sure we get some good grub. Casual, naturally, we’re game developers, you’re lucky if we’re not in sweatpants.

Meanwhile - if anyone else from Qt3 is attending GDC, shoot me a message so we can make sure to say hi.

A lot depends on how from from The Moscone Center you want to go. For lunch, over at the Ferry Building you might have a go at the RoliRoti porchetta sandwich.

What about dinner?

Henry’s Hunan. There are multiple locales across the city, but one that’s very near Moscone (Natoma St). It’s basically in an alleyway. Don’t let that throw you off. I know guys who went to GDC and were blown away, saying it’s the best Chinese food they’ve ever had.

There is also an excellent Indian place on 2nd Street called Mehfil’s. The chicken with apricots is something I would kill for.

Ambur is another great Indian food place right near Moscone. I like Henry’s Hunan, too. I was first there for a Qt3 meetup a few years back and it was great. That may have been partly the excellent company, though. :)

I’ll likely be up for at least one day of GDC. Glad to grab a beverage or whatever with anyone else who’s around.

I will be in San Francisco tomorrow through Friday for work. Staying in the Financial District, but I don’t really mind walking anywhere downtown. Does anyone have good breakfast/dinner recommendations near there? I’ve read through the thread and taken some notes.

Unfortunately I know of one not exactly close but breakfast over in Lower Pacific Heights: Sweet Maple.

If you do go, get the Millionaire’s Bacon. And if you can figure out how on earth they make that, teach me.

And I almost forgot, some great beer places near you:
Mikkeller Bar
Atlas Tap Room

Mikkeller is awesome. Second that recommendation.

If you don’t mind grabbing a Lyft, get thee to Rich Table. Amazing, amazing food at a very reasonable price.

Wayfare Tavern is closer and also very good.

Both places pack up solid, though, so reservations are strongly recommended, and make them as far in advance as you can.

Dinner you are spoiled for choice, so if you have a food type preference I maybe able to help.

All other things being equal though I would eat at Osha. Middle price, good to excellent thai food. (order the thai Samosas as appetizer)
https://goo.gl/maps/NB4TSN5yiBz

My second choice is the more expensive but much more upscale in terms of ingredient quality and clientele
Kokkari Estiatorio , very upscale Mediterranean (I love the Moussaka )
https://goo.gl/maps/H1HqeqVSwsu

For late night dining and cocktails then Bix.
https://goo.gl/maps/FbeUL2CcaXC2

But there are dozens of great choices within walking distance of the financial district so if you have a food type you like I can narrow it down for you.

Reporting back for posterity! I functionally only had three opportunities to eat for myself – We got started a little too early in the morning for good breakfast and lunches had to be wrapped up in an hour, so I got out for three dinners:

Osha Noodle Cafe - As recommended, got the Thai samosas, which were fantastic. Also a duck curry – super tasty and not too rich. Thank you @Rod_Humble!

Mikkeller Bar - Ordered a Mikkeller chiplote porter and a Freewheel English stout. It was Wednesday, so I had their weekly fried chicken sandwich special. All delicious – excellent recommendation by @Skipper and @ReptileHouse.

Sushirrito - This strikes me as the kind of gimmicky thing that real foodies or locals would tell me not to bother with, but dammit it was good.

I really wanted to eat at RoliRoti because porchetta is kind of a trigger word for me. But there wasn’t really a location and time that worked, unfortunately. So I’ll have to save it for the next time we head down to California to see family.

Thanks again for the recommendations!

Glad you had a good time, man. I haven’t lived anywhere close to the bay area for over 17 years now, but I really miss the diversity of awesome food. When I do get to travel there now it’s a real treat.

Awesome! Glad you had a good time!

Alright, QT3, I’m traveling back to San Francisco tomorrow and staying until late Friday night. I’m staying in Chinatown. Anyone have any recommendations for either food or shopping in the area?

I don’t get there much anymore. But this from today’s sfgate might give you some ideas:

Eh, not a huge fan of these choices, but to each their own. It really depends on the kind of food you like. Chinatown is hugely hit or miss.

— Alan

For shopping, head to Union Square. Lots of great shops all over the place.

For food, what are your dietary preferences and general budget? Do you want to stay within Chinatown or up to walking a bit or taking a Lyft?

In the meantime, I stand by my suggestions of Rich Table and Wayfare above.