Sanctum 2 - More Hilbert curves!

http://www.coffeestainstudios.com/blog/category/sanctum-2

It seems we don’t have a thread for this yet. The sequel to the Unreal FPS/TD game is up for preorder on Steam now. Preorders get some kind of retro-inspired mini TD game.

They’re adding more creeps, more towers, more FPS weapons, and more levels in the base game. Gameplay changes include unlockable perks and four playable character classes.

The first game was kind of a wash for me. I agree with one of the dev blog posts regarding it. Outside of just moving to the next map, there wasn’t much motivation to continue.

Looking foward to this.

I was just thinking bout starting thread for this! Sanctum is on of the few tower defense games that have clicked with me, so I’m looking forward to the sequel.

Quicklook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWxgNjAY10

Cheaper on greenmangaming.

I preordered this. I loved the first one and the previews for this one looked great. I didn’t know it was coming out this soon, so i hurried to preorder it, seeing it was coming out in an amazingly short 5 days.

At around $12, this was a no brainer for me.

People are saying you can’t build more than 10 towers per map. What the?

www.steamcommunity.com/app/210770/discussions/0/828938532997892688

So I’m not a huge fan of tower defense games but I really got into Dungeon Defenders. I loved the way the RPG/progression systems tied into the Tower Defense game, how I could specialize through stat point allocation and gear and how that changed how I set up my Towers. The Steam page for this game lists a couple features that pique my interest:

Four playable character classes – Each with their own unique strengths, weaknesses and weapons.
Progression System – Increase your rank and unlock new weapons, towers and perks.

I’d really appreciate if someone who picks up the game can comment on those two features, as my purchasing decision kinda hangs on how they’re implemented! Note that I would be playing this almost exclusively in co-op, so any info about how the classes complement each other (or not) would also be great.

That’s going to severely limit my enjoyment of the game.

That’s kind of a meaningless statistic without any context though, isn’t it?

Further reading of the steam forums seem to suggest maps are smaller, so 10 towers is fine.

Well, I’ll just say that I liked the mix of TD and FPS-lite in the first game. This game seems to be tuned the other way.

This is from one of the Coffee Stain devs:

Having a tower limit is not only about optimization for consoles, but has other reasons as well. One thing that plagued Sanctum 1 was that a single tower wasn’t really noticeable, they didn’t have much of an impact. We wanted more emphasis on tactical decisions such as what tower to build and where to build it. There might be fewer towers this time around but they are much more noticeable and powerful.

Which doesn’t really jibe with the videos I’ve seen.

A few things are in the WTF camp for me on this one. Guns are not leveled up during a map. Resources are not split and just come as two flat pickups (1 for walls and 1 for turret resources) at the end of a round (griefers delight mode sighted). There dont seem to be many resources to build much per round. These are all wierd choices. They did add in unlockable perks, but I fear this will leave very little for the players to do or think about during a map. It seems all the choices are front loaded at character select and the rest is just shooting during the actual game. This seems a huge step back from Santum 1 and could really hurt the motivation to replay levels.

That said, I liked the first one and for $15 I am willing to see if the developers know what they are doing with this sequel.

Telefrog: Not to be a PC snob, but I worry “console optimization” is the real take away from that quote.

Frankly, yes. It seems like they optimized for the more limited hardware and built the game up from that.

The first one wasn’t even on consoles was it? What happened?

I think is just a style of torret defense game. Weak towers and powerfull player powers, so you can’t build a “perfect killzone” and relax, but you have to do most of the killing. From the Quicklook video, I think the weapons take too much screen space, … .It was already a problem with Sanctum 1 the lack of combat awareness (you was lost in canyons created by the towers), but the game seems to have many improvements like the minimap, so you are not lost that easy.

Its obvious that have remade Sactum has a much better, badder and cooler game. But is still Sanctum, so will only be fun for the people that like that style of tower defense ( I don’t ). 10 towers its not a problem, if the towers can have some synergy, but its a weird limitation, and also probably remove the possibility of some cool builds. But being this style of TD where the player is more important than the towers, maybe is not important the limitation.

I was just reading a post where the developer was defending the choice to not have resources split and have them appear in a single flat drop at round start. They were saying that if they split it, it would only give enough for players to buy a tower every third round or so. If they gave all the players the resources then the map would fill up too fast. Combining these sentiments with the limited towers, this seems to be a case where wanting to expand to a nearly retired console generation/ market severely impacted the design of the sequel. From videos the game looks like a creep shoot with mazing rather than a fps tower defense. This is not to say that I was looking for a game where you sit back and let the towers do the work, but rather that the towers (what few there are) don’t seem to matter much as the players are doing all the lifting (heavy or otherwise). We will see though.

I played a few levels of this.

Very disappointing. Fun, but significantly worse than the first game, so far.

I like what they did making some enemies attack you. The perks sound cool too.

What I don’t like is that the levels are so short and you get so little resources that you really can’t do much actual… tower defense. Mostly it is just me blasting away at stuff, and yes, I can’t upgrade my weapons now…

The levels seem smaller so far as well…

This game stinks of consolitis and it breaks my heart because I loved the first one. It always sucks when a developer gains some fame and then fucks their early fans over by abandoning them for a new audience.

Yea, the whiff of consolitis is going to keep me away from this one, I think. Thanks for the impressions.

I haven’t played it yet, but I will when I get home. I’ll reserve judgment until I get some time in with it.

I do have to say that this all sounds very disappointing.

Oh and I also HATE timers on build phases in tower defense games where I cannot pause. I don’t want to be under a time constraint when I place towers. I want to be able take my time and plan the perfect maze of death.

I hated it when orcs must die did this on the higher difficulty and hate it when sanctum 2 does it.

Also, what point is there to dropping resource containers? Just give me the damn resources! it adds absolutely nothing for me to have to run over to the core and pick them up after every phase. it just busy work!

My thread title seems unintentionally ironic now since there isn’t any way to create the kinds of Hilbert curve mazes that you could make in the first game.