Sandman: 11 part TV series.

This is sounding excellent, by the way. If they’re filling all these minor, one-shot roles, it’s really sounding like they’re just going to follow the comic structure, and give us the one-shot stories, too. Those were some of my favorites.

Jenna Coleman was the companion for several seasons.

Yeah. They cast Ethel Cripps with a fairly well-known actress, who has like, what, 4 panels in the whole comic?

Not the ones I’ve seen, obviously. :P

The most interesting news here to me is that they’re going to have Lyta Hall, daughter of OG Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor, in the series. Presumably, for the early part of her story, but for Sandman fans, it’s an implication of where the series will go.

Looking great!

Please let this be good.

Love Gaiman, but I think I’d prefer his books to be handled by someone who loves his stories, but isn’t Gaiman himself. Although he’s been heavily involved in both the adaptions of his work that I’ve seen, (American Gods, Good Omens), I don’t feel they manage to really evoke the magic of his works, and I suspect it may be because they try to hew too closely to the books (Good Omens) or try to expand on them way too much, when they really should be trying to do a TV show of his work.

Dunno - he seems to have a pretty good track record. Stardust (he was producer) was a fantastic movie. Lucifer (writer; producer) is pretty well-loved. American Gods (writer, producer) was uneven but I think had more good than bad. Same with Good Omens (writer; producer).

Yeah, American Gods had a great start. The failure for that show was between Fuller and the network.

Agreed. It reminded me of Heroes. Fantastic first season and then it all fell apart. Too much strife and discord behind the scenes pretty much killed it.
I think that, overall, Gaiman’s works have translated well between media. As mentioned, Stardust was really good. I liked Good Omens and the leads played off each other incredibly well. There was a good adaptation on BBC of his excellent Neverwhere.

Neverwhere is a bit different as it was written as the companion novelization of the show, they both came out at the same time in 96.

Yet unmentioned, Coraline was lovely. One of my favorite films of that year. Though I’m not sure if that argues for Gaiman’s involvement or not. I don’t think he was directly involved in that movie, other than writing the short story it was based on.

And looking at the list of his producer credits, I haven’t much liked anything he’s produced other than How To Talk To Girls At Parties, which I don’t think he had anything else to do with. So maybe I kind of think he should stick to writing after all.

Novel it was based on, but yeah, I think his involvement was minimal.

I liked Good Omens well enough, but that is more due to the leads being absolutely brilliant, than the quality of the show. There were just so many questionable decisions taken in that show in order to “maintain Pratchett’s voice”, and that was all Gaiman.

American Gods was a show with an exceptional cast and some stand-out episodes. From what I’ve read, Gaiman was the one who wanted to stretch things out, so instead of having a 10-12 episode series that - judging from the good episodes that advanced the plot would have been awesome - we get a meandering self-indulgent mess which completely loses its way (and its actors) after the first season. Once Fuller left, the entire thing fell completely apart.

Haven’t watched Lucifer.

The big positive of stuff based on Gaiman’s works is that they tend to have really spot-on casting, so I have high hopes for this show in that department.

Lucifer is, like, fine. It’s a show that exists.

Lucifer is nothing to do with Gaiman. Even the original comic is spun off from Sandman but is actually written by Mike Carey, and the show basically completely ignores the comic so that heritage doesn’t really matter.

That being said, I have found Lucifer to be a rather fun and entertaining show. The leads both have a crap ton of charisma and the supporting cast is really good.

Lannister performs the Rite of Ashkente