SARS: It Gets Worse (or Fuckin' Fuckity Fuck)

I keep hearing about new cases. Any good links to typical prognosis and/or how they are treating it?

Last night they may have found the first case to arrive at LAX. I’d hate to have been on that flight!

This headline absolutely looks like one that would pop up in Pandemic, but is unfortunately real: " China locks down cities with 18 million to contain deadly coronavirus"

I dunno, the news largely seems to be about quarantines. Presumably it’s treated much like other viruses…treat the symptoms and hope for the body to overcome it.

The lethality rate is estimated at 2% but this is going by China’s stats so it could be worse. Sars was 10% or more.

We’re a lot better at designing tests for detection than during Sars now, and China may be somewhat better at not covering stuff up, so it’s probably pretty clearly not as bad (for now, viruses can change…)

Didnt take long to turn up in the UK

Yep, surely an issue here with a population that large. Here’s hoping this doesn’t take us all, right?

And if not, time to replay Pandemic.

What is this, some kind of Discourse bug? The topic was last updated in 2003, but it says it was last updated 17 years… oh, hell, where does the time go?! Seriously, the SARS stuff was 17 years ago?

This is like “imminent world-ending pandemic” #15 since SARS.

Wake me up when the black helicopters arrive.

Yeah, I think the DOOOOOM pronouncements are overstated, too. Which is not to say this isn’t dangerous, especially in overcrowded places without extensive health care. If this gets loose in someplace like Bombay or Delhi, the casualties could be massive.

Actually a decent overview / reminder of this on Imgur:

Conspiracy check… there’s is one lab in Asia rated for studying deadly diseases and it is in Wuhan.

So they infected the wolves and koala bears, then people ate them? Seems like a roundabout way to go about it.

Yeah and no. People become symptomatic quickly with this virus. When one that has a 7-day incubation period and/or where people are contagious before they are symptomatic… then you have a problem. Lots of people could travel and spread the virus before anybody realizes what is happening.

Me, in the P&R virus thread.

https://imgur.com/dIMzoyS

Hong Kong just cancelled all CNY celebrations and closed schools for about a month.

One thing I want to know is how do these numbers compare to the annual flu that sweeps through? Is this a bigger deal or small compared to that? Anyone have those figures?

Isnt “grave situation” in CCCP speak “holy fucking shit we’re all going to die!!!”

It’s complicated because of a few things. The first is that >50% of Americans get a flu shot, and it creates some level of immunity even if not full immunity. Having received it likely decreases the Case Fatality Rate. The second is that there are multiple strains so the CFR is different with each of those. The third is that identification and treatment of flu are globally recognized and that is not the case with this virus. The TLDR is that we don’t really know yet what is happening with the Wuhan virus and it is hard to calculate a generalized CFR for influenza.