Satan Possessed My Keyboard (film at 11)

Thats probably some non Western keyboard layout they just retained because its cheaper and tossed a “whatever” extra key it.

They couldn’t afford a license for a second Windows key.

I like this one!

ARISE, SATAN!

My oldest kid is having a bizarre issue with their laptop keyboard, and I’m hoping someone here has a clever idea for what might be wrong.

Basically, their q key doesn’t work at all. Unless they’re holding down shift. Then it works perfectly fine. Or, in fact, if they’re holding down any other key on the keyboard when they press q, then they get a q. No fuss, no pounding on the keyboard, no pushing things just right. It works with another key, doesn’t otherwise. It operates this way in every application we’ve tried. This is an MSI gaming laptop, about 2-3 years old, running Win10.

I’ve tried removing their keyboard devices in the device manager and restarting the computer. No change.

We checked for updates and did a virus scan. I went through the apps in their system tray and turned off everything I could to make sure they weren’t hijacking the key for something.

I tried to figure out a way to view any custom shortcut keys on the system–like, maybe lower-case q got set to do something else (but, like, with no effect) but Windows doesn’t seem to tell you that.

The behavior I’m seeing is so consistent that it seems like it must be a software issue. Except for one thing: They say a couple weeks ago, the q key worked intermittently for a bit, then returned to normal working order before going out entirely (when pressed in isolation) today or yesterday. In case it’s a mechanical issue, I tried cleaning out the keyboard by shaking it upside down and blowing around the keys with canned air. No change.

Help me, Qt3 Kenobi, you are my only hope!

Or, maybe more thematically appropriate for the thread: Does anyone know a good exorcism rite?

Not exorcism rite, but try opening up the laptop. If you’ve tried all software fixes and it doesn’t go away it is probably a hardware issue. There is probably something loose with the connector cable and it just needs a push. If it goes away great. If it doesn’t the specific q key may be faulty and needs replacing. There are probably service manual or youtube video floating around on how to fix it, and just a quick search on ebay or aliexpress will net you the replacement.

In the old days it would be the father ordering the kid to “fix your own car”. Now it is time to switch it a bit and say “fix your own computer”. 😂

This apparently isn’t uncommon with MSI stuff. You may need to return it for repair, but you can try updating the BIOS for the laptop and see if that sorts it.

For appropriate rites; light some incense, massage some sacred oils onto the keyboard and play this on loop for 10+hrs.