Satisfactory: 3D Factorio by the makers of Sanctum

https://i.imgur.com/0mKXcg1.gif

It’s the conundrum of having wide genres to describe games. It’s still a survival game, but on the edge of those that don’t (and shouldn’t) rely on being on the brink of death. I’m sure they’ll get around to it. Despite me sounding overly harsh a while ago about the game, it’s still fairly early. As long as they understand how big the task is to make the final version not annoying, it seems they’ll be able to make a great game out of this.

Fortunately you do get better weapons. I first went searching for oil when I just had the Xeno Basher. There was much dying. I returned with the Rebar Gun with made things a lot easier.

I don’t think there’s a timer on the stuff left behind when you die. Rather than run right to it you can grab enough resources to build a equipment bench and a weapon first. Though yeah, if you die even before you can clear an iron node might as well just restart.

Though I’m not sure I don’t think all the nodes in the starting area had monsters guarding them. I only recall running into one critter during the tutorial phase and that was after I had put my hub down and had a portable miner on a node already.

So, I finally got coal power up with automated coal transport. Is now a good time to tear everything down and rebuild it all efficient like?

yeah, steel is usually about when I get serious =)

I just kept laying new foundations and building new factory sections. I’ve done some editing here and there for when I needed more iron bars vs plates and things like that but I still haven’t done a full tear down of my original iron producing and processing area.

Joke confirmed. Coffee Stain published real sales numbers today: 507,374 at this point. That seems pretty good to me.

Damn. Good for them and good to see funding it through launch likely won’t be an issue.

Who would thought! It was totally realistic they only sold 9 copies!

Oh yeah: /s

Indeed, most impressive for an early access game!

This is a quick note to advise of a giveaway on QT3 (only one copy available) for those who don’t have a copy of Satisfactory already: Giveaway thread

Also, if you do have Satisfactory, feel free to add me on Epic if you play multiplayer from time to time. (Username: Skynet2027)

Thanks - we now return you to your scheduled programming. :)

Trains and nuclear power plants added:

Patch notes here.

This is so funny it makes me want to buy the game:

FICSIT inc. proudly present a brand new update with a bunch of cool new stuff, such as Trains and Nuclear Power Plants. Choo! (Only 1 choo allowed. 2nd choo is DLC.)

How is this game doing currently? If the store page is accurate the last major update was #2 in July? The website says there is another update planned now for February (pushed back from December).

I don’t know, but only having two updates in all this time and the next not coming out for 7+ months past the last one? That’s a real poor job of Early Access.

Usually in that case I assume the game never got traction and is dead. It’s a little different here maybe with the wheelbarrow of cash Epic gave them, maybe?

In my opinion, it’s a fun game but doesn’t have a lot of replay value so until they patch in more content, it won’t get a lot of play time. It’s not like most of the games like it in that there’s no persistent threat. It’s entirely about making a factory and once that factory is made there’s nothing else to do.

I guess make another one?

I’m curious about this game but I think I’ll hold off a while. There’s something to be said for the long-wait/big-improvements model of early access. The steady update approach often doesn’t have much wow factor. I prefer the No Man’s Sky approach. (Not early access but you get my drift!)

Maybe there’s a happy medium in there somewhere.

On a related note, I also prefer big jumps over incremental improvements when playing RPGs. I usually stock up on skill points and then invest a whole bunch at one time so I can enjoy a more substantial gain in power. I also like ice cream.

Right now it’s a set of mechanics in search of a game. You build stuff so you can unlock more stuff to build. There are hints of a story lying around as you explore the world but they are just placeholders at this point. It’s a bit like Subnautica in its earliest EA state in that as you explore the world you can see that there’s going to be story there but it’s just a shell right now. Though in this case a shell with a ton more cool building stuff to do.

If you like games where you build ever larger and more complex systems, even if there’s a lack of story to give you a reason why, then you would likely enjoy it for a while. It captured my gaming time for 3-4 weeks solid, and that was prior to the latest update.

People who really love these types of games to the point of spending hours rebuilding things to create ever more perfect designs should love it even in it’s current state.

My biggest worry would be replay value, because my understanding is the maps are not randomly generated.

There is only one map, but it’s hand crafted, large, and filled with interesting stuff. And you can start in different locations which changes the early game. Does there need to be replayability in a game that is dozens of hours long?

Also, there are currently a few mods already available for the game using a third party mod loader, but official mod support is on the road map and should add replayability too.