Satisfactory: 3D Factorio by the makers of Sanctum

I just learned the hard way that the game isn’t auto-saving on the experimental branch and lost about 3 hours of progress so that’s a wrap on Update 4 for me.

So uh, get manually saving I guess!

You really trust auto-saving in ANY game? I quicksave, then I Quicksave again, THEN I save, before I exit.
sometimes, if the game then asks if I want to save before I leave, I do just that!

I really thought that was what all gamers did!

Assuming people have any competency or pride in their work is often a mistake, I agree.

I think in my case, its more a tick-like thing :-D

I quicksave as much as the next guy but I’m always paranoid that when I’m hitting quicksave if I’m really hitting quickload. So I always have to look up the key assignments to make sure. So it’s not that quick!

For a bit over a year of development time, there isn’t that much to this update. They must have a really small team.

My biggest complaint about the game right now is that the only point to teching up is to tech up. Id much rather have a game with a shorter tech stage and then give the player a complex problem to solve after all the toys are unlocked.

Update 4!

I am obsessing over this game. By that I mean, I think about it a lot when I’m not playing it - very few games do this to me. When I actually sit down to play I can be at a loss for what to do, so it felt like I was about to bounce off the game, but then update 4 hit, broke my mods (I had to walk again), broke my coal power plant (or, made obvious my poor design, because now coal runs at 100% water/coal consumption, and all problems are obvious from the get-go, not only when you finally need the power)

That gave me goals again - fix the powerplant (done!) and also unlock a lot of stuff in the MAM that I hadn’t considered yet, like QOL traversal tools (flying mod broke, rembemer) and really useful stuff like smart splitters. Can’t wait to jump back in.

Also, hi! Stumbled across this forum, and seems like one of those rare places where people are mostly nice and constructive, so yeah - I want in!

Welcome!

Update 4 does look great. But I think I want to wait until 1.0 to really jump back in. Each update is really transformational, and I think I’m just ready to see the completed vision (knowing that’s probably a very long time away).

Welcome! I have this game but I haven’t fired it up yet. Did update 4 bring a lot of substantial improvements?

Hi and welcome!

I’ve had this for a long time, but am so torn. Wait for 1.0? Or go gaga and play a bunch now? I don’t really want to wait, but I also love to experience a fully completed game all at once.

Wait for 1.0 which is sometime in 2022.

As there’s no story at all yet all there is is fiddling with building stuff. The building stuff is awesome if you like that sort of thing (and I do). However there’s the standard early access danger of burnout before the real game is released. Which is why I intentionally put it down, but not until after some dozens of hours of building stuff. That was two updates ago now before trains and jetpacks, etc.

So if you are satisfied with just some really cool 3d factory building check it out for a while as there’s a lot there.

Thanks! I get wanting to wait - I’ve never really done early access before (apart from Slay the Spire - but that was basically done). This update brought some QOL changes (a hoverpack, that I’ve yet to unlock). The factory building and making layouts and figuring out stuff and exploring is all totally satisfactory as of now, but I’ve no idea how the game will look at 1.0

FWI I started a second playthrough way before I was done with the first - I got the urge to “get it right(er)” after fiddling and exploring in my first base. I also quickly wanted a way to build more stuff faster (there are no blueprints, like in factorio) - so I jumped on mods that let me do that (smart! mod is great) and also one that game me flying at will, after I built a four floor factory without it. I think/hope the full release will give you access to these traversal tools earlier, because you start to scale up way before you unlock the hoverpack.

If you want to play now, I’d say GOGOGO - you’ll have a ton of fun if it clicks for you. Combining a beautiful planet with factory planning was surprisingly impactful for me - tickles some of the subnautica itch as well as factorio for me.

I love both those games soooo much.

@jpinard This game is in your wheelhouse for sure. It runs very smooth, the building mechanics are some of the best ever for an open world building game and there are a lot of “oohs” and “ahhs” to be had as you explore the map. That being said: Like Subnautica the map and all of its exploration is not procedural in anyway. You definitely run the risk of spoiling the wonder before release. So I would suggest that if you are ticking more of the Subnautica boxes in this topic, then you should wait. If you are ticking more of the Factorio boxes, then jump on in =)

I bought this 6 months ago and played a little but got a bit confused…I just installed it again and spent 2 hours really enjoying it. I will work on learning the systems and exploring and just having fun and trying to figure things out, then will put it away till some more updates happen.

It’s a unique game and could use some things here and there but it’s already pretty cool and fun as is and for anyone waiting for 1.0, I’d just play it now to try it out, figure out how things work. I have an older laptop and have graphics turned down but it does play smooth and personally the building is the game, the exploring is cool but not the main thing and so playing early access isn’t a huge spoiler IMO since you really have to learn all the factory stuff and can do a little of that to check it out and explore a bunch and then put it away…and next time try a different starting area…some are harder than others.

This is one disturbing update video.

Wow this is looking more and more complicated. Is there a lot of “game” in there yet?