Saturday Night Live: Season 342343414

Guys, please watch Kumail Nanjiani’s opening monologue from this last weekend–so awesome: https://youtu.be/z2X0TaXknVE

The Kellyanne Conway “It” spoof was pretty brilliant.

I enjoyed the whole episode. Overall the first two episodes this season were just okay. The season premier with Ryan Gosling had a great digital short, featuring the font. But other than that, I couldn’t stand that Ryan Gosling kept laughing. It made the rest of that episode terrible, I thought.

The Gal Gadot episode was much better, but still just okay on laughs.

The Kamail Nanjiani episode finally had a few skits that really made me chuckle.

I have to admit though, I didn’t get the Kellyanne Conway digital short. Possibly because I haven’t seen “It”, so I just saw it as a Kellyanne Conway skit.

I have an SNL rule…if the first skit after the monologue is a game show spoof I turn off SNL.

But the best sketch in recent years (imho) was a game show.

I think I’ve watched it close to ten times since it aired. So damn good.

What @rrmorton said. And honestly the game show spoof this week was pretty good.

One of the best ones back in the day was the one with Mike Myers and the late Chris Farley as the host and American contestant/victim of a Japanese game show. That one was gut-busting.

Also, c’mon, Celebrity Jeopardy with Daryl Hammond as Sean Connery belongs to the ages.

Okay…I do remember that and it was funny.

I’ll never forget you, Turd Ferguson

It’s funny, it’s a big hat.

Hey guys, am I misremembering that there was an episode where Jimmy Fallon hosted around Christmastime one year and ended up singing that Motown song “Christmas (Baby please come home)” during his monologue? I was reminded because the Foo Fighters’ second number last night was a medley beginning with an acoustic version of “Everlong” that then went into that Motown song and ended with a rocked-out take on Vince Guaraldi’s “Linus and Lucy.”

Anyway, when I tried to look it up on YouTube it wasn’t available, as if it had never happened.

Yeah, I believe NBC polices YouTube pretty aggressively vis-a-vis SNL clips. But someone posted it on Tumbler:

Looks like that episode is on Hulu, too.

I usually like it when a comedian hosts. And this Saturday’s was no different. Kevin Hart started off so funny with the monologue, and then the sketches were pretty decent too.

He’s getting a lot of shit online for his monologue. Probably a bad time to bash mothers.

Yeah, I could see that. I was laughing my ass off, but I was really glad my wife wasn’t in the room. I don’t think she would have been amused that I was laughing so much. (We have a 8 month old baby, so his jokes were especially relevant).

My god, it’s full of puns.

Really terrible puns, which are the groaniest, and thus simultaneously the best.

Thanks for the link and the tip about Hulu, where it’s listed as S38E10. I’m watching it now though, and it looks like they just totally skip the monologue, WTF??

Last night they had a Saturday Night Live Christmas special. They showed sections from all eras of Saturday Night Live.

I was just discussing with a co-worker how the era where we started watching SNL is still our favorite era, and we miss that era. That was the Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Phil Hartman, Adam Sandler, Kevin Nealon, Chris Farley, etc. era of the early to mid-90s. But I know comedy is usually very specific to its time, so I was afraid the clips from that era in last night’s show won’t be funny anymore.

But they were! In fact, most of the show was funny, from all eras. Even stuff I didn’t like in the late-90s/early 2000s with the Molly Shannon/Chris Catan/Will Ferrell/Norm McDonald era seems funny now. Maybe I was too harsh on them back then.

But I think the reason it all held up is because of the theme. Since they avoided any political topics, or cultural topics specific to a time, and only picked clips concerning Christmas, it was all evergreen, and still relevant today. Good stuff.

I’ve been watching SNL since the days of the original cast (and I was maybe 15), and the early 90’s era you mentioned is one of my favorites, but I’ve grown to appreciate stuff from all the eras/casts.
Even on occasion a recurring sketch that I hated at first grew on me: the super earnest (aspiring) cheerleaders played by Cheri Oteri and Will Ferrell, for instance. By the end of their run I was psyched to see a new one.
And while I first wasn’t all that crazy about Molly Shannon’s Mary Catherine Gallagher character, I really ended up loving those sketches too, and even liked the inevitable movie treatment, mostly because of how good and sweet her character was.
Even patently stupid stuff like Laser Cats made me laugh. A lot.

All that said, the kissing family sketches were just gross and not funny. WHAT were they thinking.