Saturday Night Live: Season 342343414

I guess? Apparently I have no ear for that kind of singing. I thought her live singing in her first musical number sounded very off key from the pre-recorded backup tracks. But I also don’t know what that song was supposed to sound like either, so maybe everything was spot on, and it just sounded weird to me.

Was anybody during the Shakira sets actually playing or singing anything? I think maybe the violin player during the first song, but otherwise it was pretty embarrassing. I bet that taiko routine would be pretty cool if you had people striking the drums and/or playing on the beat.

The show was funny, though. I loved the randomness of the “What’s up with that” sketch

The only thing on SNL worth watching is Lonely Island (Andy Samberg and co.).

This was the first ep of the season that wasn’t a complete suckfest. I enjoyed the What Up with That sketch, and the 300 sketch was pretty good too. My favorite probably was the Beauty and the Beast one.

Did I miss something, or did they not have a digital short this week?

I don’t think they did. I don’t even watch SNL, I just look for the shorts later on and I haven’t seen a new one.

This week’s Taylor Swift episode was the first one I watched this season. That was really funny. There was something in nearly every skit that held my attention or made me laugh. Well done SNL writers. Plus Taylor Swift was very good and was in every sketch after the opener.

You missed it! Firelight (on Hulu).

You might have been fooled into thinking it was a commercial.

Actually jerri asked that question of the previous new episode, not this week’s episode.

Firelight was really funny btw.

This was the best episode of the season so far, which isn’t saying much, but the only sketch I skipped was the one where Kristen Wiig plays the woman who always one-ups everyone. I like Wiig, but almost all her recurring characters are awful.

Taylor Swift seems like a really sweet girl (I think I have a soft spot for her because she’s my 9-year-old niece’s OMG IDOL), but she can’t sing her way out of a paper bag. I guess she’s been pitch-corrected to hell and back on her records.

She did a good job in the sketches, though. Her Shakira imitation was spot-on.

I have heard worse live, but you are right…she is not very good. She is no Miley Cyrus. ;)

Her intro monlogue song cracked me up. She was quite good, especially as singers as hosts go.

My lord, the Black-Eyed Peas suck ass.

“I would try
Until I die
For you and I
For you and I”

Ears are bleeding.

Yeah, this sounds right.

I donno, jerri.

I got a feelin’ that tonight’s gonna be a good night.
That tonight’s gonna be a good night.
That tonight’s gonna be a good night.
That tonight’s gonna be a good, good night.

Is Bob Dylan writing for them? He must be…

My wife is a huge country music fan so we watched the Taylor Swift episode. She was better than most hosts, but over half of the sketches are still to long. It’s unwatchable unless you can fast-forward through most of the show.

For some reason the January Jones episode turned into the Jason Sudekis show - he was in almost every sketch for some reason. It wasn’t a terrible episode, although the only really funny thing I thought was the “How To Throw A Dinner Party” fake instructional film, which was obvious yet still funny. Also, Jones is supernaturally hot.

I think January Jones proved herself not to be incredibly versatile. There’s not one sketch she appeared in where she had to stretch in any way, shape or form. The internets are abuzz about what a bad host she was.

January Jones was amazing in how bad she was. From her monologue on, she managed to make Taylor Swift look great in every possible way. She was cute, but man, I hope she’s not a main character on Mad Men, cos she was awful. John Hamm was hilarious when he was on and even better on I Love Movies, so I guess he carries the show?

I don’t really blame them for over-relying on Jason Sudeikis, Bill Hader and Kristin Wiig. Especially on a show like that one. They had to realize early on how limited she was going to be. Where were Andy and Keenan, though?

We’ve seen many times in the past that great actors don’t necessarily make good Saturday Night Live hosts. So I wouldn’t read anything into Jones’ performance on Mad Men just based on this appearance. (Admittedly, I’ve never seen the show).

I was actually expecting Taylor Swift to be as good as she was just based on the fact that one of the best hosts that SNL has had in recent years has been Justin Timberlake, to my great surprise. The guy is really funny, he’s got great comedic timing and he can act. Taylor Swift wasn’t as good as Justin, but it was her first time. I wouldn’t mind if she hosted again and again over the next few years, she was really good.