Say Something Negative About a Game You Love

I had forgotten about that game. It was great, however, I hated the “Enhancement Diversification” update. I also disliked the samey-ness of the missions. The game-play was fun, but ultimately, very shallow.

I wonder if we will ever see another game like it. The problem with other super-hero games is that you do not feel like a super-hero compared to CoH where you really did.

You take that back YOU TAKE THAT BACK

Imperialism I/II’s late game land battles are extremely tedious.

It’s worse in 1 because late game armies are essentially infinitely sized since you can run your economy entirely on oil so every person goes into the army. It does help create a ww1 but damn is that war tedious.

1. Mass Effect 1 for an RPG it was to on the rails for mission design
  2. Mass effect 2 for a RPG it it stripped away inventory management as a feature, so if you love being collector if items, you will be disappointed
  3. Mass Effect 3 had shoddy ending after initial release, and after patched still lacked meaningful choices where your earlier actions resonated at the ending like previous great RPGs (Alpha Protocol)

Speaking of Alpha Protocol
Alpha Protocol lacked um…fans! So we only got one…

In Diablo II, Nihlathak was way too strong in Hell difficulty. After spending years coming up with a party of hardcore characters that could survive all that way into the story, our party pretty much got wiped out in Act 5 by Nihlathak. His corpse explosion did so much damage that the only person who survived the carnage was our Necromancer standing away from the bodies. Damn you Nihlathak! We could have beated Baal together, but no, you had to stop us once and for all.

Best post in this entire thread, right here.

Sneak and invisibility for Bethesda games is way overpowered, and has been for multiple iterations of Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

I knew about it in Elder Scrolls. But I didn’t know it was overpowered in Fallout. I thought the Stealth boy powerup only had limited power and it ran out pretty fast? I always “kept it in reserve” and never actually used it, as a result of that limited power. I guess it wasn’t all that limited?

In comparison, the invisibility suit you could make yourself in Oblivion was permanent.

Elder Scrolls Online has other people in it!

People, in your sandbox, it is more likely than you think.

Yeah invisibility is limited to the Stealth boy in Fallout, but sneak is not. Both games suffer from the issues once you max out the related skills, so there is -some- balance, but when you get high up there, you gain the ability to move through areas without to much issue, target specific enemies without too much issue, and essentially pick and choose battles.

It’s also hard for them to balance, because you think of the ability to sneak or become invisible as extremely powerful anyway. So the representation in-game of the same ends up being very powerful. If they were to take that away, it would anger the fans, like me, who have come to rely on it too heavily.

Yeah, even though it’s game-breaking, I appreciate that it’s there. I like having game-breaking mechanics in single player games. It makes them feel better in a way. I know multiplayer games have to be balanced and all rough edges sanded down, but I like having over-powered mechanics in single player games. It’s part of what makes them special. OTOH, I usually have the self-discipline not to over-use those kinds of mechanics too much, lest they get in the way of my own fun. But I know some people don’t, and I can certainly appreciate that point of view too.

Agreed. I mean it’s a negative about the game, but its still a thing I love as being IN the game. And I use it, far too much. :)

If you get a chance, play FO4 with a sneak melee (blitz) build. It’s amazingly fun and broken at the same time.

A solid maybe.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans/updates

It could be good, or just another generic MMO with a super-hero theme. They are missing my favorite archetype, the controller, but only CoH ever had those.

Unless we’re limiting this to super hero mmos, EverQuest Enchanters served this purpose as well, and along with CoH controllers were always my favorite class to play.

Crown control and/or charming is certainly in other games, but not quite so well as the controller. Eve Online even has crowd control. EQ1 and EQ2 had it as well. I’ve heard there are other games with the dynamic, but haven’t played them.

I throw the lack of it as a class toward WoW and it’s rock/paper/scissors approach to the holy trinity as the only uber-classes needed (tank/healing/dps.) There was crowd control within WoW, but it wasn’t something that any one class had as a job. And to be fair, once WoW led that drive toward cutting out side classes as something needed for a successful group, it did indeed make groups easier to find, form and join.

The difference between someone who can charm or stun a character vs a controller is that a controller can lock down large groups of enemies, not just one or two.

I played a storm / ice controller in CoH. Remember the reactor control room where you did your respec mission? I could quite easily get nearly every mob wedged into a corner , slipping and falling, and debuffed so much that they couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. The healer defenders were practically napping.

The only sucky part of playing a controller is that they couldn’t do much DPS and thus soloing was really tedious. Also other players didn’t “get” controllers and thought that all they needed was a bunch a healing defenders.

Yep I’m assuming it was the lack of soloability which prevents that role from being so popular. A good crowd controller makes grouping so much easier, but all anyone ever thinks about is usually tank/heal/dps.

The top URL didn’t resolve but that’s a separate game.