Say WHAT???? - Songs That Somehow Made It Past The Censors

Merry Christmas!

Not sure if this quite fits the topic, but this song really creeps me out:

There are a lot of songs from that era that wouldn’t pass muster today.

Hey guys! My girlfriend puts out!

I don’t get it. What’s to censor?

Huh. I always thought My Sharona was a guy singing about his penis. Only nobody I know calls it a sharona, so it was always a little baffling. I just looked it up and this is a dude singing about a girl named Sharona, which I didn’t know that was a girl’s name either.

I’m sort of glad I looked into this before I met a real life girl named Sharona and asked her… “Hey, about your name.”

I guess the censoring for Sharona is NOT because it’s about a dude’s penis, but because it’s just sort or raunchy?

EDIT to add sixteen songs too:

I guess I don’t get the sixteen songs either. Is it just because 16 is too young? I don’t know these just seem more like ballads about teenage love, between teenagers, as opposed to some of the others that are more about older guys going after younger girls. For the sixteen songs here, I’m just going off memory and didn’t bother to look up the lyrics. Now that I say all this, it’s probably some really obvious lyric I’m missing.

Yeah dude, you kind of need to look up the lyrics before asking questions like that.

Just from My Sharona:

. . . Never gonna stop, give it up, such a dirty mind
I always get it up, for the touch of the younger kind . . .

. . . Keeping it a mystery, it gets to me
Running down the length of my thigh, Sharona . . .

. . . When you gonna give to me, a gift to me
Is it just a matter of time, Sharona? . . .

I guess the 16 songs are borderline. For me it’s the age of the performers compared to the age of the girls. But My Sharona is spot on. :)

It no doubt says something about me that I like the songs.

Kudos to Grace Slick for singing the word “Motherfuckers” so soaringly that censors missed it.

I’m not sure what you mean because you’re asking me to look up lyrics for the 16 songs, but then you’re quoting the Sharona song?

I have read the lyrics for the Sharona song and it sound like a song about a penis:

That line totally says penis to me, but I’m wrong. If it’s not a penis, it’s sort of a stretch. @RichVR why do you say spot on? Is it the lyric about “younger kind”? That’s pretty vague.

My take is that Sharona is an underage girl that the singer wants to have sex with. I suppose YMMV.

It’s cool. I was just curious what you thought. It’s just sort of jarring to think it’s about something other than what I originally thought.

It’s possible I posted it upthread, but you can find video of their performance on the Dick Cavett show where the song somehow makes it through. It aired live a day or two after Woodstock

The lyrics:

Running down the length of my thigh, Sharona

and

Squeeze me baby, 'till the juice runs down my leg
Squeeze me baby, 'till the juice runs down my leg
The way you squeeze my lemon, I
I’m gonna fall right out of bed, bed, bed, bed, yeah

By Led Zeppelin. have similar themes. Both about semen if I am not completely wrong.