Scalia found dead?

You could make an argument post nov 2nd, prior to signing in, but c’mon guys. Really?

I guess you couldn’t expect much less from this Senate majority.

@WesleyLowery 3m3 minutes ago

scoop from WaPo colleagues: White House vetting Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval, a Republican, for Supreme Court vacancy https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/02/24/brian-sandoval-republican-governor-of-nevada-is-being-vetted-for-supreme-court-vacancy/

Argh. Please no.

McConnel’s head is going to fucking explode if Obama nominates a republican and then they refuse to even hold hearings.

He’s pro-choice, and has supported the kind of tax mandates that are the basis for ACA challenges.

Any idea his position on Citizen’s United? I can’t see Obama nominating anyone who agrees with CU. I also don’t see him nominating an (R) just to get him through.

Agreed, this is pure gold.

^^^This. Any judge that is pro CU is a judge I am against.

@daveweigel 10m10 minutes ago
President Obama once again proving that he’s the undisputed world champ of this troll game

Yeah, he’s actually a real centrist. But, this is the Supreme Court. I don’t know, on the one hand any new non-ideological judge will move the Court to the left. OTOH, he might end up as another Kennedy - who votes most of the time with the conservatives. I think it’s risky - but I guess I’ll hope for the best.

Sandoval likely does nothing to move the needle on CU or even some other stuff that is pretty important.

However, he’s a rising star in the Republican party, wildly popular in his home state. He’s very likely to take Harry Reid’s senate seat when Harry retires after his term. He’s probably on a short list of VP candidates in 2016, and looming as a very formidable candidate for 2020 and beyond.

And he’s Hispanic-American.

And so what would happen if he’s nominated? You end up either forcing the GOP to block the nomination of a Republican sitting governor who happens to be Latino, or you have them vote to confirm one of their greatest potential future leaders.

Barack Obama is freakin’ Tywin Lannister.

See, I just don’t really buy into this kind of crystal ball crap.

Good judges are good judges. They don’t vote politics. They vote based on the cases before them, and how they interpret the Constitution.

Like last year with Roberts’ decisions… It was hilarious, because you had both the right and the left alternately talking about how much they hated him. The reality is, he’s a Justice who is doing his freaking job. His job is not to be a fucking political mouthpiece. His job is to fairly interpret cases within the framework of the US code of justice.

And so what would happen if he’s nominated? You end up either forcing the GOP to block the nomination of a Republican sitting governor who happens to be Latino, or you have them vote to confirm one of their greatest potential future leaders.

Brilliant.

Not only that, but he would also totally get that reference. Nerd nation!

So I have seen video today of Joe Biden saying that then Pres. Bush should not be able to select a replacement for Thurgood Marshall and that the next president (turned out to be Clinton) should get to do it. Imagine the changes had that happened. No Clarence Thomas.

Thank you for bringing this new information to the thread.

You don’t really mean that, do you? :(

Just thought it interesting how both sides talk out of the sides of their mouth.

It’s been discussed already. Plus, watch the whole speech.

Yup. This is a badass move.

Well, he has to. The Constitution says the president “shall nominate…judges of the Supreme Court.” The question is whether the Constitution imposes any time limit on the Senate to act on nominations. I don’t see one and I don’t think anyone can impose one. Certainly the Court will not.

It’s still a dick move though.

Could the white house get a case to be heard by the supreme court about the senate blocking a Supreme court justice?