Scalia found dead?

It could, but the only Inceptilawyer able to plead the case, N. O. Oscar Cobb, is trying to get out of the business.

Is that like a Decepticon that passed the bar?

Well played Obama. Well played.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/702571193073836033?lang=en

Just asked Deb Fischer, Nebraska Republican, if she’d consider Sandoval as a Supreme Court nom. She said no. “It’s not about the person.”

Sandoval removed himself from consideration.

Your move, Obama.

Yep - his only winning move was not to play.

THEY GOT TO HIM.

Solve for any value of “they”.

Why wouldn’t you ask a guy if he was interested before you leaked his name out there? Also supposedly Reid gave Obama the idea for this. And Sandoval is supposed to want Reid’s seat when he retires.

I could think of any number of reasons, but most likely to paint the Republicans as being unreasonable - we already got quotes saying they wouldn’t consider him. Also, who is to say they didn’t talk to him before this?

From reports it was Sandoval who approved to the vetting while he decided.

Sandoval probably had more to lose than gain. If he was nominated by Obama and never came up for consideration, he probably wouldn’t be nominated again for SC. And if agreed to be nominated, he probably lessened his chances within the party for a Senate run or even a Presidential run.

Still, a smart move by Obama. He made the Senate Republicans squirm and highlighted just how obstinate they are.

OMG, that means the exact opposite of what it’s supposed to mean!

Apparently so, yes.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-26/dow-cites-scalia-s-death-in-settling-urethanes-case-for-835m

Dow Chemical Co. said it agreed to pay $835 million to settle an antitrust case pending before the U.S. Supreme Court after Justice Antonin Scalia’s death reduced its chances of overturning a jury award.

I think that I am okay with this outcome.

An interesting quick overview of some of Scalia’s positions on antitrust laws over the years.

I can’t wait until the supreme court swings a little bit away from the right.

The fact Dow was willing to settle out of court for almost $1b after Scalia’s death. . .I can’t think of a more damning indictment against the direction right-wing political ideology has taken in this country since the Reagan years.

I’m not following your logic. Anti-trust is complex area of law. It mostly isn’t black-and-white one way or the other as to what is “bad”. Scalia’s death affected Dow’s calculus on settlement because it affects the probabilities of certain outcomes.

Presumably, there was a settlement offer on the table that didn’t line up with their calculus prior to his death, but became more reasonable in their eyes after his death. While I haven’t dug into this case, in particular, my assumption is that they faced a liability significantly greater than the settlement, if things went very badly for them and they chose to mitigate that risk with this particular settlement. They settled post-death because it affected the odds.

I frankly can’t figure out how you reach some conclusion that this is proof of some sort of shenanigans or clearly bad policy.

I didn’t think it too complicated. Right-wing political ideology has become entirely too pro-capital, and you see this with both elected Republicans and often the justices they seat. Pre-death the court ruled in favor of corporations roughly 85% of the time from what I’ve read, which is why Dow was willing to role the die with a Scalia present. Without him, the #s on the court change and so to do their odds of winning.

If there was a pervasive liberal media in America, they’d be trumpeting this situation to the heavens IMO.