Scalia found dead?

Forgive me for my skepticism of what exactly is being shown here, or the picture’s legitimacy. Given his actual rulings, and his opposition to executive power, I find it extremely hard to believe that he is somehow a fascist supporter.

Between the Religious Freedom Order and rescinding the Johnson Amendment, I guess I’m gonna have to scale back on my Christian bashing if I don’t wanna get crucified (in the literal way). . .

Probably should delete that NC Caliphate thread, too. . .

Take it up with Snopes and the Daily Mail.

Now, was he sincerely a fascist? Likely, he was being a dumb kid and trying to be jokey edgy.

But… I also know that even in a joking manner these ideas start percolating in kids’ minds and have a tendancy to take hold in small ways. I can only look at his sentiments as a kid, then look at his decisions in law and think that he sure does seem to favor a hard right conservative view.

Well, snopes only covers the Kissenger quote, which honestly stands without any context… and I find it difficult to believe that it’s meant as a suggestion of policy.

The Daily mail talks about his stuff in high school, and suggests that the name of the group was meant to poke fun at the administration, satirically portraying them as fascists.

I mentioned in the other thread, that Gorsuch’s rulings are pretty anti-fascist on their face.

Sure. Like I said. It was probably a joke. He was a kid and kids do dumb things to get a rise out of their elders.

But add that to his record of being staunchly pro-religion and hard conservative on the courts? Nah. Now he’s an asshole.

Full disclosure: I always thought Scalia was an asshole too.

But up until his last few years, while Scalia often supported conservative rulings, his rulings were based upon what was written in the law… not based upon an interpretation based in conservatism. This is a really critical thing, that seems to be overlooked.

Thank god I’ve never run for office. The shit they could dig up from high school and college would hang me.

I mean hey, Pence’s actual textbook-definition Capital-E-Evil was based out of a really thorough reading of his source material of choice, but that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t deserve to get curb stomped…

Sometimes you can do the wrong thing for the right reasons. I’m sure all the people hurt by such decisions really take a lot of comfort in how logical and dispassionate these guys were when making them.

I ever tell you guys the story of how a LiveJournal post cost me a full ride scholarship to NYU, shouldering me with tens of thousands of dollars in debt as a direct result? (okay, the last part is also because I wasn’t willing to go to my tenth place backup state school and make a small profit over four years attending it, but in my defense, it was MTSU, which is such an absolute shithole that I kinda stand by my decision even now)

Coincidentally, it’s basically the same story as why I can never run for political office…

Here’s Gorsuch’s college defense for the Iran-Contra deal:

[quote]Many have speculated that the President doesn’t legally have the power to transfer funds from the sale of arms to Iran to the Contras, yet few recall —or more correctly, choose to recall—the powers of commander-in-chief.
Jefferson, with his word alone, bought the whole of Louisiana and sent Louis and Clark off to explore it. More recently, FDR freely sent dozens of U.S. Navy vessels and arms to England before our entry into World War 11. These presidents did not ask, nor did they need to ask, Congress, Sam Donaldson, or those precious presidential pollsters.[/quote]

Or hey, how about his opinion on college protests against South Africa during Apartheid:

[quote]
Pro-divestment students call for the immediate withdrawal of University funds from all companies conducting business in South Africa. But in their haste to do the Right Thing, they
are willing to overlook such mundane things as facts—namely, that many of these companies are themselves in the act of divesting. Committee and coalition members seem willing to sacrifice the large income from the endowment—which goes to pay for our need-blind admissions policy, among other things.[/quote]

Yeah, this guy is totally not interpreting things the way he personally sees it right?

Not based on those pieces.

They are kind of irrelevant, right? Given it’s an opinion piece he wrote for a college newspaper? I mean, the question isn’t whether or not he HAS opinions… because of course he does. It’s about whether he makes rulings based on those opinions, in conflict with the law.

Yes. And I say that like every judge ever, he interprets law in accordance with his own preconceived notions and opinions.

His shitty opinions in college could be waved off again as shitty kid stuff, but when I look at the rest of his career, it seems to me that Gorsuch is exactly the kind of Scalia follow-up Trump would endorse.

Great for the GOP, I guess. Not so hot for the rest of us.

Well, every human brain functions as a result of its experience… but I would suggest that a position of legal literalism is inherently LESS prone to injection of personal opinion than other schools of judicial thought, as it pushes the decision upon the actual text of the laws, and what is actually written, rather than relying upon an attempt to determine what the unwritten “intent” of the lawmakers was.

You guys are giving this guy way too much legitimacy. Trump is an illigitimate president with an illigitimate AND stolen SCOTUS nominee.

That is nice to hear. From reading up on the guy it doesn’t seem like he is a bad pick at all (from a conservative side) I really think that the Dems just need to take the L on this one and save the fight for a real bad guy.

Who are you and what is your background?

JMJ is one of the QT3 old guard, but he does not post much here these days, I think since the great purgening.

Good to see him back, though I did not see his post since it was withdrawn.

Right because of the GOP president had a chance to appoint a judge in their last term they’ll just go ahead and not… yeah I can’t finish that statement because we know it’s bullshit. The problem is the seat was stolen. We’re not talking about two months before the election here but most of the year.

I’m not sure why JMJ withdrew it. It wasn’t anything horrific or explosive which is why i can barely remember it. Was he the one that said he knew the guy?

Come back, JMJ!! :/

Yes, that he used to be friends with him and that he is a good guy. That’s why I asked his background, seems like a big claim to be making without any background info.