Scenes you remember from the television of your youth

Are there any TV scenes that you have strong memories of from your youth? So much is online, YouTube, etc… these days that I thought it might be fun to post some of them here. If you can’t find it online, then describe it!

For example, this lovely scene is burned into my memory. I must have been ~ 10 or 11 years old when I saw it. I remember it being the talk of the town for a while. I guess we didn’t have better things to do here in Raleigh. :)

Karen Black.

Zuni Warrior Fetish Doll.

JFK’s funeral maybe. Watching footage of the riots at the Democratic National Convention in 1968. Watching the Berlin Wall coming down (1990?).

As for network entertainment TV, I can remember watching the first episode of Cheers and knowing it would be a hit. I remember watching the first episode of MAS*H and being happy they kept the theme music.

Everything about The Day After and Threads. Good stuff:

Four years later, the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty was signed and in Reagan’s memoirs he drew a direct line from the film to the signing.

When I was a kid I remember a scene where two sisters (I may be getting some details wrong, I was just a kid) were sitting in the back of a car and as a prank, one sister tied the other sisters shoelaces together. But then they get in a car wreck or something and the car in on fire and the sister with the tied shoes is stuck and can’t get out before the car immolates, killing her. I think her ghost comes back and haunts the surviving sister or something? Anyway, that stuck with me… well, even as I type this, I guess.

Here’s one I haven’t seen in forever, but I’ve still got strong memories of:

Apparently that aired on TV in 1981 and it spooked the holy hell out of me. I really don’t know how it holds up, almost afraid to find out. But it’s still, at least in my memory, the best scarecrow related horror film.

Edit: oh whoops, the link didn’t turn out so great - it’s Dark Night of the Scarecrow.

You know, I think I sort of remember that. It’s pretty well rated in IMDB!

Something Wicked This Way Comes (though not TV) freaked me out more than anything when I was little.

Another TV scene I remember well is from The Cat From Outer Space, when the cat is getting back on the spaceship wearing some type of fancy collar.

Oh yeah, I saw The Cat from Outer Space in the theater as a kid! The case had that diamond necklace that let it talk. That was Disney, I think?

That takes me to another forgotten Disney movie from my youth, think it was called Unidentified Flying Oddball or something? About an astronaut that ends up going back to King Arthur’s court. I forget the details but I remember I loved it.

Huh! I never knew it was a theatrical release. I just remember it used to come on TV at Thanksgiving for a few years and the whole family would watch.

This was one of those memories that plagued me for its clarity, but I couldn’t remember its origin. Escaped criminal gets handcuffed to a cop who then dies; criminal goes crazy from thirst dragging the dead body through the desert. It turned out to by a young Kyle MacLachlan in an episode of Tales from the Crypt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4DtHDoR9jo

Ha ha – first thing I thought of too.

I remember both of these. I was annoyed as a child that JFK pre-empted my cartoons. I also remember RFK and MLK being assassinated.

Also, airings of Wizard of Oz was a bit of a deal. It was on once a year. Most of us kids usually watched it.

yup, same here that scene scared me. with his little knife exploding out the oven!

also the scene in Salems Lot where the brother is floating outside the bedroom window on the 2nd floor… saying ‘let me in’

i shared a bedroom with my older brother, and he always scared me with that PLUS reenacting exorcist bed shaking shit. damn sucked!

Here are the terrors of my youth:

This guy pretty much ruined Star Trek for me

I don’t think I have ever watched the entire length of The Wizard of Oz because of this chick

…and I was not a huge fan of this guy either

One scene that stuck with me for a long time was from a movie I saw, “rikki tikki tavi”.

It was the scene where the cobras were discussing killing the humans and how one would hide in the bathroom and wait in ambush. I had nightmares about cobras for a long time after seeing that movie.

Television programming Christmas day.

https://youtu.be/MuUfCtw6nio

This is right on the edge of how far back I can remember, but this goofy Cliffhangers! show that only aired for 10 episodes clearly stuck in my brain:

It is hard to imagine what a thrill it was once a year to get to watch The Wizard of Oz. And oh that color.

This shit broke me as a kid. . .

Goes into it a little more. I didn’t watch AYAotD after that ep, I don’t think. . .

Yep, we also watched The Wiz and The Sound of Music! It was so exciting. The Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Special and the Rudolph Christmas special were high on the list, too.