Schmigadoon!

Schmigadoon! is a new show on AppleTV+ starring Cecily Strong and Keegan-Michael Key as a couple who stumble onto a mysterious town in the middle of the woods. It also stars a cavalcade of Broadway stars, for reasons which will become obvious about ten minutes into the first episode.

If you’re familiar with Brigadoon, then you can probably figure out the basic concept. And coincidentally, you’re probably also the target demographic for a musical sitcom about musicals. It’s delightful!

This kind of snuck up on me, but with Cecily Strong and KMK in it, I’m on board.

I spent the first 2/3rds of my life absolutely loathing musicals, which I think was extended childhood rebellion, basically. My mother loved them, and so our house when I was growing up was full of Oklahoma, Carousel, South Pacific, Singin’ In The Rain, and especially West Side Story. So much West Side Story. And I think I revolted against all that…

…and then about 15 years ago I saw “Singin’ In The Rain” all the way through I think for the first time and I was like “Holy shit, that was amazing.” And I have since fallen head-over-heels for them, which undoubtedly would make my mom laugh her ass off with an “I told you so.”

With that said, I know the rough outlines of Brigadoon!, but I’ve never seen either the Gene Kelly/Vincente Minelli movie nor seen it done on stage. So…I hope it translates, but might have to watch it as a sort of aperitif.

Hell yes!

Fuck yes, I am so in.

A great way to describe it.

You should definitely watch the movie! I really don’t like musicals but I’ve always had a soft spot for Brigadoon. Its a movie you can enjoy on multiple levels. If you end up not liking the music, you can enjoy the general awfulness of the production.

I would see musicals growing up because I grew up with six channels. At 10:30 at night CST during summer break it was talk shows and a movie, so I watched a lot of movies I might naturally have skipped as a kid, including most of the musicals. Brigadoon is good, though was never one of my favorites – I always liked Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Bunch of muscular, horny guys kidnapping a bunch of pretty women, including future catwoman Julie Newmar – meow!

Galavant is another great show featuring musical numbers, if you like Schmigadoon!

I may finally need to sub to AppleTV+ for a few months to binge this show, along with Ted Lasso, Mythic Quest, For All Mankind, and whatever else I’m forgetting.

The only musicals I can abide are Rocky Horror Picture Show, Guys & Dolls, and Cabaret. Go figure.

Still Apple TV, so this will have to be a hard pass.

Comparing it to Galavant just makes us want to watch it more. We’ll likely try it this evening. Can’t wait!

I haven’t seen Brigadoon since my brother was in it during high school, but I recall enjoying it! Cecily Strong is one of my favorite recent SNL cast members.

This was pretty amazing and my wife hated it!

Galavant had the detective from the tv show Psyche! in it.

Having your S.O. hate the show can be its own type of joy.

Loved the first episode. Watching the second now. Really loving it.

lol, I thought so! Thankfully the episodes are short, so it should remain bearable for her. I thought it was pretty funny and the lyrics were quite cleverly written.

And at least she has a character to relate to! Hopefully it’s not too much of a slog for her.

I love how the NY Times in their very favorable review described the two different people who’ll encounter this series as either Melissas (who buy into everything that this show wants to sell) or Joshes (who find it pointless nonsense.)

I can say that as someone who was once the Joshest of Joshes but is now WAY Melissa…this is just a lot of fun. Kristin Chenoweth is gonna deserve every award they throw at her for this. She’s just amazing.

Same in our household, though hate may be bit strong for my wife - but she certainly didn’t enjoy it as much as I did. We’ll see if she joins me in watching the upcoming episodes.