School grade issue

That’s inexcusable for a professor. Sounds like she wasn’t putting in much effort.

Yeah, the original schedule was for a previous semester. The third schedule had stuff in it for the next semester though she later removed most of it. And she never got the quizzes working right, so we had no quizzes.

Her lectures were fine I guess. And she was friendly.

It’s possible to submit a change of grade form after the grading deadline - stuff happens. Since it was her error there should be a way forward, sounds like she was having some significant organizational trouble.

We had to evacuate the campus Thursday afternoon of finals week due to a bomb threat. Not sure when they rescheduled the Thursday afternoon /evening finals for. (I’m staff, not a student)

At most schools (all?) you can change the grades. I’ve done it more than a few times. Also, saying this as a college professor with a lot of classroom experience stretching back to the early 90s, any instructor who changes dates and other syllabus essentials and a) doesn’t make sure everyone knows about it, and b) penalizes someone for an honest mistake associated with the change isn’t worthy of being in the classroom. One of my cardinal rules is, students don’t pay the price for my mistakes. More than once I’ve simply given everyone a 100 on an assignment, or just ditched it entirely, when something I did screwed things up.

I had something similar happen, and I talked to the professor directly. He told me that we’d set up a time to come in and “finish” the class after Christmas break, and he’d amend the grade accordingly.

After Christmas break, he told me that he’d looked at all of my past work and awarded me an A for the class, with no need to take the test I was missing. It was pretty easy and I showed the grade very quickly.

I’d definitely recommend talking to the professor first then involving administration if that does not go well, as opposed to doing both simultaneously or immediately going over the prof’s head. They have a lot of leeway regarding changing grades. It should be fine, but don’t put it off for too long.

As someone who teaches in person and online, I agree with all of the advice given here. Depending on the institution, it may go against policy for the prof to have changed the final due date. (I would check your catalog to have that info in case you have to involve admin.) In any case, email her first and explain your confusion. If she won’t work with you definitely go to administration.

Changing grades is a minor paperwork issue. It happens all the time. (Slight exaggeration, but I once had an English prof change my grade from an A- to an A when I asked why I had an A-; he said he clicked the wrong button.) However, definitely take care of it quickly. While grade changes are common, it’s not something you want to wait on.

Also, be respectful (of course) in your email. Sometimes stuff happens outside of the instructor’s control due to department or college issues.

The professor emailed me back. I get an extra day!

Don’t screw it up. :-)

Good luck!

This thread is making me kind of curious as to just how many college professors we’ve got around here! Are we so common on QT3?

Wombat and I teach at the same college.

I would have been happy getting a C or any passing grade in most of my courses. You’re all a bunch of smartypants overachievers :)

Glad to hear it worked out so you got the chance to get a full grade. Good luck with it.

Shit happens all the time in education and the real world so most places (at least where I live) have some kind of arrangement for repeat exams or redoing the course if necessary (not so uncommon as people might think when you are hitting the tougher material of higher education).
If you run out of talent (as most people will) at least you may know that you pushed yourself to the limits of your potential and that is worthy of respect in itself.

“Hey professor, what’s another name for pirate’s treasure?”

I got the school grade issue sorted. Thanks everyone!