School shooting in Florida

Yeah which is why everyone comes out with their hands up. Anyone with a gun who is not shooting at them should be given a chance to drop their weapon and follow-instructions. Last I heard, police still do that.

Not for a long time now.

Well isn’t that supposed to be their policy, drop your weapon and all. This isn’t someone reaching for a gun, this is someone who has one, in the open.

And the “they had a gun” defense works every time.

Where gun = literally anything or even nothing.

You don’t even want a phone in your hand. Heck, you don’t even want a hand.

If I recall correctly, having a gun or even a hand isn’t a prerequisite to being shot. You can be prone and compliant and still get shot.

The only justification cops need to murder you in cold blood is having you in range.

I also think this is a training issue. Most municipalities don’t have the budgets to run people through the house simulators the SPECOPS and FBI teams use.

I recall when Marcinko was bringing Seal Team 6 up to speed. Six blew threw more live ammunition in a year than the entire US Marine Corps (this was during peacetime, of course).

It’s a training issue, but money has little to nothing to do with it.

To be clear, I am talking about policies, like written down material not just what some of the police do to wind up in the Cop shooting topic.

There have been quite a few of those shootings where they weren’t found in violation of department policies.

That was more along the he or she was afraid for their life than he found the first guy with a gun and shot him per policy and specified training. I know the results aren’t really different, but I think the approach specified still matters.

I imagine that the recommended guidelines for confronting an armed suspect vary from county to county and state to state.

But police are given wide latitude when confronted with a situation were they believe that delay will endanger lives (IANAL). If they are called into a situation that they believe is a mass-shooting – especially if they hear large amounts of gunfire beforehand – I would be stunned if they didn’t just take down the first non-cop they see holding a weapon. I can’t imagine the cop in question would want to answer to parents if he (the cop) demanded a mass-shooter drop his weapon and the shooter ignored him and shoot another child or three.

That’s also the lesson being taught by this inactive sheriffs deputy – far better to be seen as trying (and failing) to do something than to do nothing at all and be labeled a coward who let kids die.

Here’s the thing. They’re afraid of literally everything. So policy is basically: “Kill anyone you want, at any time, for any reason.” As long as they say they were scared, it’s fine.

I’m not disagreeing. I just think it’s important distinction. It’s not as if i am all over the Cop Shooting topic defending the cops for killing people left and right.

I don’t disagree, but we’re talking about arming teachers and other employees on the premises. If there is standing policy, like a real life policy that says shoot the first person you see with a gun… that’s an issue. It shouldn’t be there in the first place and it’s even worse if we’re telling people with guns to get involved.

I guess? I mean if my policy is to do X and yet I never ever do X, then does it really matter what my “policy” is?

I think what is official and what is not official, and know what those two things are is still important. Policies are not written by individual cops, for one thing, and there are number of other reasons policies and procedures, documented, are important even if no one follows them. It’s not just an exercise in changing institutional behavior but also studying how it got to the point it is today… when we get to the how the hell did this happen part of course.

No, they’re written by police unions.

Are they though? I mean they’re basically never penalized for not following them anyway. And there is always a loophole that justifies literally anything anyway (he had to kick the handcuffed dude in the head because he was afraid!).

I mean, I wont disagree here, but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter because nothing is going to change. We’re here and public outrage is irrelevant. It used to be the Feds reined it in a bit, but now they don’t care or are just as bad. Hell the SCOTUS has basically given police a free pass on everything they ever do.