School shooting in Florida

I am sure things looked terribly bleak in the 10’s, and 40’s, 50/60’s… I am still hopeful for the future, and in that scenario, what was intended and what happened, not just for studying sake but for history and moving forward sake… is important.

I would like to know if these organizations have a policy in place that basically says shoot anyone with a gun in a mass shooting scenario. I suspect that is not true, not matter what a politician says. It is certainly important to look at policies and behavior if we’re arming the staff though.

Well NYPD’s policy is to go in there and kill them.

This part indicates that talking isn’t going to be part of the equation:

Officers must also be aware of the possibility of friendly fire. Plainclothes cops should, if possible, remain outside and aid victims or secure the perimeter.

If they have to enter, they should pair up with uniformed officers and display ID, such as a shield. If entering alone, they must alert a dispatcher.

If you are trying to get your word out, a friend with $40 million followers is a good way…

Miley Ray Cyrus
‏Verified account @MileyCyrus
13h13 hours ago

Please support the powerful message of change, unity and healing from student survivors of the #StonemanDouglas shooting. Listen to their song #SHINE http://smarturl.it/ShineMSD & be a part of the movement to help end gun violence!

Hehl, well then they should really not be arming the teachers there and no one else, armed, should even think about getting involved.

Scumbag Repug school paddled 3 people who left to do the 17 minutes of protest.

Democrats overestimate the level of civilization this world has progressed to. Hence the constant shock, pearl-clutching, and hand-wringing.

I don’t support corporal punishment, but

• the school has the right to hand out punishment for the walkouts if the students violated existing rules/policy, and
  • the students should be willing to accept the punishment if they did indeed commit the “crime”

that said…

the punishment should be appropriate, and IMHO should not include corporal punishment.
(this all assumes the punishment is appropriate to the infraction)

I thought the student quoted in the article did a good job of describing the incident - they had a choice of punishments, 2 smacks from a paddle or a two day suspension. They chose the smacks. And the punishment was administered as reasonably as you can administer a punishment that is whacking someone.

I think the outrage in this case should be directed at the states that still allow corporal punishment to be meted out to children, not towards the specific incident in question.

Honestly, I’m shocked in this day and age hitting kids is an acceptable action anywhere in the U.S. And I grew up in a time where paddling in schools was common (I had my share of them!)

As for being punished for walking out, civil disobedience has always had a price and in some ways is that much more powerful because it does come with a cost for the participants. A one or two day suspension (as opposed to, say, being expelled for the rest of the year) seems not so terrible. Certainly it is a low cost compared to what others have paid for other forms of civil disobedience.

The most insulting part of this particular instance of corporal punishment is that it’s trying (consciously or otherwise) to diminish their political protests as juvenilia and immaturity.

Corporal punishment is an option, given at the students or their parents discretion, in some places. It doesn’t appear that its use here was unusual for that school.

I know but it’s use in a school environment is barbaric and pathetic. It shows their educational system is bankrupt and their administration is a bunch of losers. My Mom taught the most wrecked EI (emotionally impaired) K-4th grade students and she never had to resort to that kind of thing because she used other creative measures to keep students under control.

There are ways to do it, but when you have a “conservative school” their brains implode when they try to think outside the box.

Physically hitting kids, with or without a parent’s permission, should be illegal in any schools. Again, I was spanked when I was a kid but that was a long time ago.

Hey, I’m not defending corporal punishment, I’m just pointing out that there’s nothing to suggest that they beat these kids specifically for this walk out.

Oh I know. That was supposed to be just a general comment on right-wing schooling,

The Parkland kids were pretty amazing on 60 Minutes tonight.

Although I hope they get some counseling after they change the world.

If the kids I see in the grocery store are a representative sample, I disagree. Hell, I might actually volunteer at a local school!

Thank God. If someone hadn’t posted Jasper my faith in humanity would have finally expired.

This seems… Odd.

Good thing she got the Snickers first. You’re not you when you’re hungry, no telling how things might have gone down if she’d hit the gun counter before the snacks…

Side note, I wonder how many times that convenience store has sold a gun, only to have the purchaser come back inside 60 seconds later and ask the clerk for all the cash in the register?