Sci fi sim speed

Yeah, but that’s the reason I enjoy I-war so much (I haven’t played Independence War 2 yet, I’m saving it for a rainy day): its because they incorporate nearly unlimited top speeds, you’re travelling at high speeds but all that matters is your relative velocity to each other. And relative velocities are visually shown with a vector trail in the I-war HUD.

I honestly enjoyed I-war more than other space sims precisely because it got rid of the other restrictions. They made it really fun, and at the same time really tactical. In the I-war opening movie, the captain of the dreadnought pulls off a maneuver that I’ve only been able to pull off three times, but is very satisfying. Ships are weaker in the back, since all the shields and hull plating is concentrated in the front. They also incorporated the fiction of an FTL drive that you can activate during combat unless you specifically inhibit that ability using a special missile.

Everything I-War did, it did for both internal consistency with the game’s fiction, the newtonian physics they worked with, while also keeping the fun factor. I think that game put the lie to the assumption that more realism = less fun.

Really? I played Prophecy…it was probably the first space sim I ever played, and I finished it. It was a fantastic game, but I don’t remember it being different in the ways you suggest. However, since it was the first I played, I may not have the proper sense of how it relates to other games.

I’ve been playing any space sim I can get my hands on since Wing Commander, and all I can say is that Prophecy gave me, personally, the greatest sense of speed than any other game in the genre. It had a lot to do with the feature that many Prophecy players never used: the ability to maintain your vector at the press of a button while pointing your nose in any direction. I believe it was the Caps Lock key, right below the Tab Key for the afterburners. So you could use Afterburners, switch to Caps Lock to maintain that speed, so you didn’t have to use after burners, point your ship at a capital ship, or fighter that you were passing by, and shoot. And you could suddenly change your vector dramatically by letting go of vector lock and switching to afterburners in the new direction you were facing. So you could fly circles around enemy ships if you did it right.

I was really involved in the fan community for WC: Prophecy at the time,and I organized a leaderboard for the highest kills on the simulator missions that were tough, and I had the highest kill count for a really long time. So high that I got several emails accusing me of cheating, saying it wasn’t possible to go that high. That was my own personal major complaint with Prophecy though: I loved the sense of speed, and the gameplay, but the game, as designed, was way too easy even on the hardest difficulty. They gave the federation ships way too much speed and maneuverability and weapons. Those of us interested in exploring the simulator made our own simulator missions that were much tougher, and hacked it so we could fly the alien ships instead. Believe me the game was much tougher when you were an alien fighting the Federation, instead of the other way around. The game as just inherently designed to give the Federation a huge technology advantage. I guess the aliens were supposed to make up for it in sheer numbers, but they didn’t. In the missions in Prophecy, the aliens never had enough to overwhelm even one ship.

I still remember the story in Prophecy kept implying that we were facing this great menace, and yet, battle after battle, the Federation kept winning every single encounter with the aliens.

Freespace, which came out near the same time, about 6 months later, got the same story but did it right: the aliens really did have superior technology, and were kicking ass. It really did feel like they would conquer Humanity and the Vesudans.

Was it Terminus that tried to do the Newtonian physics thing? One of those 3 sims that came out around the same time did, and I remember people liking it.

You could be thinking of either I-war, or Terminus. I-war came out at the same time as Prophecy, but only in Europe. Freespace came out about 6 months later, so those were the three big space sims at the time. Two with WW2 physics, one with Newtonion physics.

Terminus came out around 2000 I believe, and I personally didn’t like it very much. It did feature Newtonian physics, but the overall presentation of the game was very sloppy. The font was ugly (which drove me crazy, why can’t you pick a font easier on the eyes? That doesn’t require a higher budget for God’s sake), the graphics were sub-par, and I didn’t like the gameplay. The story was kind of hard to get into, so I never got far in the game. Where I-war makes the newtonian physics easy and intuitive to understand, Terminus somehow made it more convoluted, but I can’t remember how.

The other thing that was incredible about i-war was the mission variety. When Prophecy came out, I remember it was so disappointing that the only kinds of missions they had were: Fly to the waypoint, fight some aliens, fly to the next waypoint, fight some ships. Sometimes you had to protect a ship, but that wasn’t too hard in prophecy because the aliens were so much weaker than the federation, and it meant all you had to was fly to the waypoint, and kill the aliens quickly, instead of taking your time.

Freespace added a few more type of missions. You could scan cargo, you could do other things, and were required to, and it made for more variety. There were some spying missions, like in Tie Fighter, and other kinds of missions, like having to clear an asteroid field so your capital ship could get through. But it still mostly adhered to the formula of flying out there and shooting things down most of the time.

I-war just had so many mission types that I can’t even remember them all. I just remember they actually kept introducing new gameplay elements throughout the game for the sake of mission variety. Like the time when you had to find something based on a weak signal, they actually had a new addition to the HUD just to show you signal strength, so you could locate the device. Then there were missions where if you used thrusters too much, you’d get detected on radar, so you had to remote pilot a spy drone in a way to minimize thruster use, which was really very interesting with the Newtonian physics model, and their map setup. They also had FTL travel, which added a lot of variety and tactics to a lot of missions. There were a lot of examples of this, where I-war just kept adding more and more elements so that most missions throughout the game were unique. And the game was a joy to use with my force feedback joystick. I still remember the first time when all my thrusters got damaged, and as I was frantically assigning priority to repair the thrusters, my ship was drifting through space at my current vector, with enemies closing in fast. And I remember when my thrusters went out, it was because of a missile hit, and my joystick jerked, and then completely went dead. All the tension in the joystick was gone, so just my hand’s weight caused it to slump into a corner, as the joystick went limp, just like my ship.

God, I miss that game. I don’t personally think I-war 2 can be as good from the little I played of the demo, but I’ll definitely give it a shot one of these days.

Quote from apolyton post - [I] 'To cut a long story(about 15 real world minutes!) short, i make it. But my hull integrity is down to 7.1%. Supprisingly my computer is telling me all my systems are fine - and none of my cargo has been damaged!! A miricle i think.

Auto pilot set with just a few AU left and as the distance creeps down i’m feeling lucky - no more attacks coming in.

But i just zoom by valhalla, my autopilot spinning me around and using valuable fuel to slow me down to start the approach again.

I set the time scale to real world time and a quick check through my message log shows me that both my retro and left thrusters have been destroyed. Oh joy - no putting my feet up and leting the computer fly me into dock then. And i’d been hopeing to view the latest Jjagged Bbanner dream-vid while the auto-pilot did the work

To add to the seriousness of the situation my fuel isn’t good - all i got is about a third of the tank left(It was about half until the extra burn when my auto-pilot missed the planet). This time i’d given up extra fuel to pack in a few more tonnes of hand-guns.

What follows next is a bit like the return stage in the apollo-13 movie. But i got no computer to tell me how fast to go - i’ve got to ‘use the force’ and try to catch me that damn planet, but with no room for errors i’m thinking as i look at the fuel gauge. And its ‘slow time’ all the way in, allowing my self the luxery of 2x speed everynow and then, fast time and any mistake could be fatal.

Engines set to ‘Off’ - its thrusters only as i got to save the fuel, but to slow down i got to flip 180 degrees to fly backwards and use my working main thrusters, as the retro’s are gone…along with nearly all my hull

I spent about 4 and a half hours in real time, getting my bird home. 2AU is a bl**dy long way i realise. And catching a planet isn’t as easy as it sounds.

But i loved every crazy minute of it. This is what gaming is about for me, its an emotional attachment - a bond between you and the virtual world.

I was put through the emotional mangle with this one: Excitement,Joy,relief,worry,disspare,intensity and again relief with a touch of amazement when i’d finaly limped into dock.

Oh and to top it all off, my hand-guns only sell for the pathetic sum of around 600 credits per tonne(i got them for approx 400 per tonne). And most of the time in the back of my head i’ve been wondering just which part of my hull that makes up the 7.1% could keep my ship together?

I needed a cup of tea(in RL) to relax after that adventure.’[/I] - end quote.

I saw this posters story over at apolyton, and it reminded me of this thread.Elite(later versions) did Newtonian physics AND made a great game of it. Surprised no one else has mentioned it - no one play Elite?

Link: http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127267

Okay, need a smidge of help. This thread reminded me of a game I started playing but never finished. I want to get back to it.

I was sure it was an Independance War game whose title had been changed. It was more of an RTS than a flight sim. You commanded big capital ships, and it was a slow game, and it all happened from a distant pespective.

That’s all I can really describe. It was a technically competent game too, so I don’t think it’s that old. Probably 2002 or newer I would think.

One of the Homeworld series?

I’m guessing “Nexus: the Jupiter Incident.” I vaguely recall it frequently involved lumbering ships slugging it out for twenty minutes at a time.

Damn, Rock8man, that post about I-War has finally convinced me to play it. I have both games but have never played either of them, despite the great word of mouth. I’ve only barely started Freespace 2 for that matter. Part of the problem is that my joystick will only connect to my wife’s computer, and besides my computer has a WS monitor, which makes those older games look crappy. So my time is limited, and I tend not to bother. But if I-War is THAT good, I may have to fire it up soon.

I will give you my first born if you can show me how to get Iwar (the first one) to run under XP. About a year ago I messed around with a glide wrapper but I had no luck in getting the game to run on a modern PC.

You should - it’s great, for all the reasons you mentioned – they toned down the physics a bit, but it’s still essentially the same, and Independence War2 has a pretty decent freestyle trading/pirating mode. Not of the same scope of the X2-3 series, but it adds a lot of additional gameplay beyond the scripted missions.

The expansion pack for the first Independence War is also excellent.

I’d also be interested in tips on getting those games running under XP

It does? Awesome. I have much of the series but never got around to actually playing it.

Independance War 2 was the only Sim outside of racing games that worked perfectly with a gamepad. The navigation/system/com hud worked great with the dpad, the directional thrusters with the analog sticks, and since a lot of the actual firing was assisted exact precision wasn’t critical to have a joystick. Definately give it a play, it had a fairly engaging story and the freedom it afforded was comparable to privateer. And yeah, the mission variety was quite engrossing. I agree prophecy got pretty stale for the last stretch, just as much as did it’s cinematics, where the pilots would seemingly get drunk at the bar again and again until the next scramble.

zx81 - cool exerpt, I really enjoy a sim that deals you manageable permanent damage but makes it survivable. I remember xwing missions where I pulled into the hanger with my entire dashboard a fried, twisted mess, having no idea how much hull/shield I had left. Or that how an errant laser hit would rob me of flight control for a few critical seconds while a Tie swooped in on your tail. I guess it’s why I was so livid to see Mechwarrior 4 feature ‘repair bays’ where you just walked in and in thirty seconds flat your mech was shiny and new again. If you’re going to abstract the damage to this huge piece of machinery by making it magical, then you’ve ruined the illusion I’m at the helm of a complex piece of technology.

Bloo, ( to get back on topic,) what I’m trying to suggest has both to do with the speed in contrast to the environment, as well as how it would affect tactics.I want that visceral thrill of speed, and how only going that fast will keep me alive around the goliaths and other fighters from catching and killing me. I want that screaming ‘oh my god can I turn tight enough to pull out of the way just in time’ feeling, rather than leisurely hug the side of a starship. Also, the sense that my ship is a fragile shell, and that I fast to stay fast, not take too many hits lest I take all kinds of delibitating damage (rather than rely on magical rechargeable shields that allow me to take a ridiculous pounding.)

Also, dogfights in xwing/wc type games basically degenerated into tight turning circles, where any target was trackable by simply turning long enough. Ship speed was so low as to force you to pound your target until he was destroyed, or else have him do the same to you if you turn away. If multiple enemies were concentrating on you, you basically had to hope your shields could absorb enough until you got through them, one by one. Contrast that with ww2 dogfighting, where only careful planning and foresight allow you to get within striking distance, and even then your window of opportunity small and fleeting to actually score a hit before your divergant paths take you out of range again. If you do manage to to get on his tail, even if he’s filling your reticle, his erratic jinking can easily deny you a shot, and any maneuvering inevitably leads to a loss of velocity which makes you easier pickings for other fighters gaining an advantage on you while you’re preoccupied. So I don’t think increasing speed in a sci fi sim would necessarily lead to being more arcadey, action oriented or hectic; it would actually force the player to utilize planning and tactics to get within a striking range and keep a target in his killing zone, rather than simply closing, turning, and pumping energy into shields. Extra emphasis on escaping damage, rather than absorbing it.

I believe that’s the one.

I just read Elite4 is in the pipeline from frontier development - that had been denied for SO long, nice to see a confirmation(well for all newtonian physics space simulation fans).