Score one for "fair use"

The DeCSS kid got acquitted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2635293.stm

…on the claims that he wrote the utility because he wanted to watch legally purchased DVDs on his Linux system, and that there was no evidence he was trying to aid piracy.

I’m all for protecting copyright, but there are too many companies and MPAA/RIAA-type organizations who not only want to protect content copyrights, but try to overcontrol how it’s used.

If I buy a DVD, I’m doing nothing “ethically” wrong by using DeCSS to rip the DVD to my hard drive and then re-encode it so I can watch it on my Pocket PC on the airplane.

Good to see some courts (even if they’re in little European countries) trying to hold back this usage control tyranny. Next thing you know you’ll see books with license pages stating they’re not to be loaned to friends or read in the bathroom…

“This novel is only to be read only by the original purchaser while seated on a LaZBoy™-brand recliner or lying on a Sealy Posturepedic™ matress. Any other usage is a violation of this license agreement. No public review statements or enjoyment benchmarks are to be shared via publication, internet, or vocal transmission.”

Brilliant!! I remember the days when I could buy a vinyl and make cassettes without being fearful of the death penalty. :D

…however, this cannot be good, can it? :?

I remember that a couple of European albums that I owned had a little logo on them that looked like a skull and crossbones, except that the skull was an image of a cassette tape. Underneath the picture was the phrase, “Home taping is killing music.”

Yeah, right. They’re sure hurtin’ because of it.

I remember back when CDs were first released to the public, the music industry said it was the begining of the end. Their logic was that because you can play a CD unlimited times without wearing it out, that people would just mass produce audio cassette dubs and distribute them.

Guess it never occured to them that once you experience a CD, it’s impossible to go back to using cassettes.

As for the Fair Use ruling here… I agree with it completely. If the industry isn’t going to allow DVDs to be played on Linux, then someone needed to find a way to get it to work. A person shouldn’t be punished be not being able to watch DVDs just because they prefer Linux over Windows.

It’s the same reason I support people who mod their PS2’s to allow imports to be played.

Ooh! We’re in the news again, for the first time since 1996! :)

Anyway, Norwegian and American copyright laws are quite different, currently. The new EU/EEC copyright laws will change that.

This was not strictly a copyright case, however. He was indicted for breaking the law against unauthorized data access because he broke the encryption on DVDs and made it possible to play them on non-authorized equipment, not bevause he made it possible to copy them.

Defeating security systems is illegal in of itself, now.

Not over here, it isn’t. :wink:

That was more or less what he was accused of, though.